[not a bug] ESP should be on /boot, not /boot/esp

This isn’t the post but @joekamprad explains it in the thread. Although i am not sure this is exactly what the OP is referring to.

That flag has not been needed for years, tho.

Mounting your esp to /boot has some downsides as it moves your kernels inside the esp. systemd-boot requires this and I had to make my esp 800MB to support multi-booting with all the kernels distros keep around these days.

If you want to move it I would recommend switching it to /efi if you are using grub.

That being said, you should be able to mount it wherever you want. Mounting it as a /boot/efi isn’t deprecated as far as I know.

3 Likes

Do you share the same ESP for all the different distros, mounted at /boot for each for having a functioning multi-boot system using systemd-boot?

Yes. I have a single ESP partition.

2 Likes

Great! I’ve never tried systemd-boot, not knowing how it handles multi-booting. But by your description it seems rather straightforward. So just to make sure if I get it right: all the kernels installed from different systems will reside in the same ESP and then systemd-boot will add them to a boot menu from which you could choose which one to boot?

EFI System Partition :wink:

3 Likes

If you have no kernel name overlaps than yes, you can just add them to /boot.

If you have kernel name overlaps, you will need to handle that manually somehow. How to handle that will depend on the distro in question. One way is using symlinks. Some distros allow you to specify an alternate kernel location.

1 Like

Seems a bit over my paygrade but hey, it’s about time I get a raise :wink:

I’ll start experimenting on a spare machine to see if I can get the basics right. Thanks for your replies and explanation!

1 Like

Feel free to reach out to me if you need any help.

1 Like

Yes i get it. I guess the word is depricated. It’s the same thing to me ESP … EFI. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) and Unified EFI (UEFI)

1 Like

Sure, thanks a lot!
:wave:t4:

1 Like

Intel developed the original Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) specifications. In 2005, UEFI deprecated EFI 1.10 (the final release of EFI). :laughing:

1 Like

hm so EFI is the one depricated then :upside_down_face:
Only UEFI (Interface) and ESP (partition)

I will keep this in mind up from now … we do have the first non-Bios system also now in my house a ThinkCentre (miniPC)

1 Like

Nice little machines.

Everything UEFI

https://www.uefi.org/faq

1 Like

The GPT specifications do not actually use “flags.” That is a peculiarity of parted and gparted (and kpmcore does this as well) that still insist on referring to flags when there are none. What parted is doing when you set the “boot flag” is actually changing the partition GUID to the agreed upon GUID for EFI partitions, in this case: C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B is the GUID of an EFI partition. The boot loaders know that GUID belongs to the EFI partition. There is no real flag being set. It is a lot easier for us humans to remember “boot flag” than C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B. :wink:

1 Like

How does one find this value in the first place? It doesn’t show up anywhere that I can see (so far)…

only a little reminder:
if we want implementing an easy way to provide Dualboot, we do need to use the already existing Windows esp formatted as fat32, we can not mount that at boot, as we do have grub nested there…
And to not bloat the partitions it is most common t do so mounting already existing ESP partition and adding a new entry there for Linux.

1 Like