Error when using makepkg

This is on Raspberry Pi 4b with aarch64 (64 bit) OS and Budgie Desktop.
When I try to compile yay from the AUR, I get the following:

$ makepkg -cfs
==> ERROR: Cannot find the strip binary required for object file stripping.

I am using an alternative kernel from the Archlinux Arm repository as opposed to using their default aarch64 kernel in the same repository. Could this be something missing from the kernel?

Pudge

Do you have binutils installed?

1 Like

Thank you, this saved me a bunch of time.

binutils was not installed, so I installed it.
Then it complained that make was not installed. Installed it.
Then it complained that gcc was not installed. Installed it.
Then since yay is written in golang, it complained go was not installed. Install it.
It finally compiled and I have my yay aarch64 package.

Usually, make, gcc, and other goodies are installed by default. This is the first time I tried to compile on this particular install and I don’t know why this wasn’t in the image. FYI there is no base-devel in Archlinux Arm. So perhaps Archlinux Arm no longer includes this stuff in their base image.

Anyway, the original error did not make me think of checking make, gcc, etc. I assume binutils may have been a dependency of make or gcc?

Thanks again.

Pudge

1 Like

They are all part of base-devel. You must have missed installing that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is not a ‘base’ or ‘base-devel’ group or meta group (whatever they are called) in the Archlinux Arm repositories.
Arm does not have Grub or EFI other such interactive booting, just a boot-loader binary file.

As such, Installation is totally different from x86_64. Someone has to offer an image that one can download and install on a uSD card, eMMC card, or in some cases an external USB SSD.
This us just like downloading an x86 ISO image and using etcher to create a bootable USB.
In the case of Arm, it is the operating system itself in the image.

In this case, one would download “ArchLinuxARM-rpi-4-latest.tar.gz” from Archlinux Arm and burn it to an appropriate storage device using an operational Linux device. This yields a base Archlinux install, which is pretty much the same as a x86 install the “Arch Way”. Stick the storage device in a RPi4 and away you go, ready to install xorg, and a DE like Arch.

Anyway, Archlinux Arm used to have make, gcc, etc. included in the base image. Evidently, they decided to remove them for some reason.

Thanks again, you saved me a bunch of time. It would have been a while before I thought to check on what was once included in the image.

Sorry about the Arm discussion, as you probably aren’t interested in Arm.

Pudge

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.