Error updating with pacman and yay

Thanks judd for the link. The information about yay is very interesting.

1 Like

Only one thing to do before updating the system, having a look at https://www.archlinux.org/news/ .
Not always, but sometimes, you have things to do (which are well explained how to) before update, avoiding problems, or more, disaster.

I am sincere, I do not understand how to use all this information to update my system, if you give me an example I will surely understand it and appreciate your valuable help.

This warning for example : https://www.archlinux.org/news/fontconfig-2101-update-manual-intervention-required/
Itā€™s quite old, but if you didnā€™t do that before the update, fonts donā€™t render well after, not so dramatic.

Believe me or not, but I have performed an update, a long time ago, without give a look before at this site, and my system was broken.

So, be cautious.

I think that as long as I do things right with the updates I will not have any problem, unless the problem is widespread and affected all computers. In this case, the most logical thing would be to ask this forum for help and I know that the answer will not take long. On that side, I donā€™t have problems. Anyway, I appreciate your help, as you seek to prevent me from the dangers to which I can expose myself when the system is updated.

1 Like

Very soon the new Kernel stable 5.5.1 will appears https://www.kernel.org/

So my advice would be for those who are not still comfortable with EOS to wait few days before to update it, then you have time to read the reaction from Forum and see the issue on Arch if there areā€¦next time be more adventurous, itā€™s when you broke your system that you learn !

It seems that Linus T. took the risk to travel just after this new launch versionā€¦he told thatā€™s the first time he is doing it.

To know you Kernel current version :

uname -r

Others would use certainly the double kernel installation with LTS knowing on new 5.5.1 :

LTS kernel

Besides the mainstream kernel, the current LTS kernel, which has version number 4.19, will also be upgraded to kernel version 5.4, the recent mainstream kernel.

2 Likes

Understood FLVAL. I like challengesā€¦ Thank you

1 Like

Iā€™m not afraid of the kernel. :rofl:

2 Likes

U2 ! Sometimes it could be fun to break the system :bomb:
Even more when it reworks after itā€¦

Iā€™ve blown things up so many times i just expect it! lol :crazy_face:

1 Like

Did you try the flashrom when you broke your Bios chipset to reprogram it ?
This Linux soft is greatā€¦

What are you referring to? I donā€™t recall this? I do update Bios or Uefi but usually via Windows or a usb drive or via network on newer UEFI boards. I actually just did one on a brand new laptop over wireless which was not my normal routine but i was in a hurry. It came up as an update and i just clicked yes. Crossed my fingers and closed eyes. :sweat_smile:

Considering that Chipset broken on a motherboard is maybe the hardest adventure to past throw, then you could repair it with a little electronic USB hardware as CH341a that you use with FLASHROM software on linux. With this you could reprogram your Chipset broken when reset it doesnā€™t work anymore or if itā€™s dead BIOS chipset, so you could buy new one, reprogram it and solder itā€¦ :wink:

You could also update your bios with it easily in pluging a clip on your chipset directly on your motherboard !

Honestly i have never had a failure touch wood. My own new Intel Z370 motherboard has had 13 updates since the first model over a two year period. I have never used Linux to update but iā€™m sure itā€™s a similar process.

Edit: Itā€™s actually an easier process on newer UEFI boards over network. Then it doesnā€™t matter whatā€™s installed. It would be nice if it was just another command from the terminal.

Yep the evolution to update Bios and the UEFI is maybe more efficient but with this you could always make alive a dead motherboard that only have a broken Bios chipsetā€¦

I updated few time my B350 with it, itā€™s more direct :airplane:

I havenā€™t broken any since the early nineties. One day it will happen ā€¦maybe.

Imagine you are updating your Bios then the electricity cut ? :wink:
So if it happens, You have the solution :ok_hand:

1 Like