Error messages when booting kernel 6.14

swapfile

with swap partition I habe never problems so far

[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=5884-DB29                            /boot/efi      vfat    defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=9a129d8f-481d-43b6-967f-5d7016ae368f /              btrfs   subvol=/@,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=9a129d8f-481d-43b6-967f-5d7016ae368f /home          btrfs   subvol=/@home,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=9a129d8f-481d-43b6-967f-5d7016ae368f /var/cache     btrfs   subvol=/@cache,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=9a129d8f-481d-43b6-967f-5d7016ae368f /var/log       btrfs   subvol=/@log,defaults,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=9a129d8f-481d-43b6-967f-5d7016ae368f /swap          btrfs   subvol=/@swap,defaults,noatime 0 0
/swap/swapfile                            swap           swap    defaults   0 0
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ 

Just remove it.

I have it also too:

/swap/swapfile                              none          swap    defaults  0 0

I just tested an no problems here.

I suspect there is something wrong with your swapfile itself. I would delete it and recreate it.

I thought if you were going to make a new one anyways. As mentioned before, it looks like something is wrong with the swapfile itself. That is why swapon/swapoff errors out I guess and it fails to get activated at boot. Of course it is up to you if you want to do away with it altogether or …

Is it just this command to remove it?

rm /swap/swapfile

Yes, with sudo :wink:

If your swapfile is working, why would you remove it?

Just going by this? @anon50380917 swapfile isn’t working? :thinking:

But you are not having any issues with yours.
Or don’t you like swapfiles?

I didn’t remove mine. I just asked if that was the command to do it? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit: I just turned mine off and enlarged it to see if there was any problem because @anon50380917 stated it was since 6.14 kernel?

I think if it gets removed and recreated the problem will be gone. It’s not a bug in kde. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Another one of the great features of Knome then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have now decided to set up a swap partition again. There is enough space available. I am too old for this shit … :wink:

1 Like

Why do you want a swap partition instead of the swap file? I haven’t had any issues with swapfile on btrfs. The issue you had with it not working is minor and easily fixed.

Because it just works … when I have more time and desire, I deal with it again.
In addition: from easy to fix could probably not be the speech here.

The only thing that has always bothered me with the automatic installation with the swap partition is the fact that , although Swap without hibernation was selected, it was still activated. Needs no one …

Edit: I will probably start another attempt in the coming week.

1 Like

Perfected D-english - davon kann nicht die Rede sein.

Perfected D-english, again - das braucht kein Mensch!

:rofl:

1 Like

Denglish made by DeepL :innocent:

1 Like

To get in indicator if the file is really a swapfile I would do

sudo file /swap/swapfile

It is easy enough to recreate a swapfile

sudo su -
rm /swap/swapfile
btrfs filesystem mkswapfile -s 1g /swap/swapfile   # adjust the size to your liking
3 Likes