Error making: chrome-gnome-shell

Greetings lovely community,

It’s been a little while since I’ve needed to ask a new question, since everything has been running rather smoothly these last 6 months (kudos to all the devs/maintainers!), but I’ve encountered a small, but I know is also an easily fixable issue. I just would like some guidance or perhaps a bit better understanding on which approach to take and would very much appreciate any input into the matter.

I’ve had the AUR package chrome-gnome-shell ( AUR link ) installed since I first installed EndeavourOS Gnome edition, but today was the first time I came across this error when updating with yay

:: 1 Packages to upgrade.
1  aur/chrome-gnome-shell  10.1-5 -> 10.1-6
==> Packages to exclude: (eg: "1 2 3", "1-3", "^4" or repo name)
==> 
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Aur:1]  chrome-gnome-shell-10.1-6

1 chrome-gnome-shell               (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 
:: (1/1) Downloaded PKGBUILD: chrome-gnome-shell
  1 chrome-gnome-shell               (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 
:: (1/1) Parsing SRCINFO: chrome-gnome-shell
==> Making package: chrome-gnome-shell 10.1-6 (Tue 25 Jan 2022 12:35:24 PM EST)
==> Retrieving sources...
==> ERROR: /home/scott/.cache/yay/chrome-gnome-shell/chrome-gnome-shell is not a clone of https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/chrome-gnome-shell
    Aborting...
 -> error downloading sources: chrome-gnome-shell 
	 context: exit status 1 

==> Making package: chrome-gnome-shell 10.1-6 (Tue 25 Jan 2022 12:35:25 PM EST)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
==> ERROR: /home/scott/.cache/yay/chrome-gnome-shell/chrome-gnome-shell is not a clone of https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/chrome-gnome-shell
    Aborting...
 -> error making: chrome-gnome-shell

I posted the issue on the AUR page, and the maintainer replied back very quickly saying:

@Scotty_Trees: clean the cache or simply remove the directory /home/scott/.cache/yay/chrome-gnome-shell/chrome-gnome-shell

So my question for right now is, are they suggesting I clean my pacman or yay cache? Not sure if those two are one in the same or two separate things. I’m hesitant to clean my cache; if I clean the cache, is that a good idea? I have the default of keeping 3 previous versions in my cache, so I don’t think that is the approach I’d want to go since I like having the option of having previous versions in there in case I need to downgrade anything.

So my other option is to remove the folder they are suggesting. I’m curious if this is sometimes common with updating AUR packages where you have to remove a certain directory or is this not a frequent occurrence? Any reasons exactly for this? Just trying to understand this whole process better.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated and thanks for reading my post.

They are suggesting you remove part of your yay cache for that one package. The same thing can be done by telling yay to cleanbuild the package.(Although that will remove the entire cache for that one package)

Whenever an AUR package fails to build, the first thing you should try to to cleanbuild it. Old source files can cause havoc with a build sometimes.

3 Likes

Ah, so they meant a cleanbuild, I just didn’t recognize what they were trying to say; my fault on that one! Now that I understand and I’m familiar with that process, I went ahead and did a cleanbuild with yay and everything checked out okay, installed and update successfully. I knew it was an easy fix, but that was almost too easy :wink:

This is a good useful tip to know and one that I’ve known myself, but with everything working so well lately I seem to have forgotten this important tip. But looks like today was a reminder for me!

Thanks again for the help as always @dalto :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.