Eos-update-notifier.timer - schedule 1x daily

I want to set the schedule for the eos.notifier to run the updater once a day at a fixed time. I know that you can do this with the configuration file under ~/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer, but I have no idea what I have to do. The goal is to have the updater running at 19:00 (7:00 pm) every day.

Essentially, set the OnCalendar item:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/Timers#Realtime_timer

Give me a mo and I can look at the specific timer.

OK, pretty straightforward:

sudo systemctl edit eos-update-notifier.timer

then add

[Timer]
OnCalendar=
OnCalendar=19:00

and that should be that.

This is adding an override file under /etc/systemd/system/eos-update-notifier.timer.d/ which will allow you to customise the unit without losing changes on an update - but make sure you remember about the changes. :wink:

The first line “unsets” the existing entry, the second line sets the specific time. Check the wiki page for other time formats.

1 Like

many thanks @jonathon! it sounds fantastic!

No problem, I always note down everything I have set or changed. The list gets bigger and bigger.

4 Likes

The eos-update-notifier.timer is a user specific systemd thingy, so I think you must add option --user to the command. Didn’t test it though because I’m not at a linux box right now.

3 Likes

I also noticed that a system-wide setting is ignored.
At what point would that --user be written?

After systemctl. Hope it works. :slight_smile:
And no sudo.

EDIT: At least it works if you edit with a normal text editor directly, e.g.

nano ~/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer

After that run command

systemctl daemon-reload
2 Likes

That works perfect, many thanks. :ok_hand:t2:

How does this get installed? It doesn’t seem to be part of the PKGBUILD that I can see?

You mean how the timer gets installed?

It can’t be in the PKGBUILD since it is user specific.

eos-update-notifier has a .desktop file that is installed into autostart location (/etc/xdg/autostart). When user logs in, that .desktop file is called, and the .desktop file calls eos-update-notifier with the -init option.
Now eos-update-notifier knows how to install the user specific timer and start the service.

Hope this answers to your question. :smile:

2 Likes

Hmm. There may be a better way of doing that. You can run --user services without having them present under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME. :thinking:

If you find a better way, please let me know!
I’m always open for new ideas to make this better. :smile:

1 Like