Eos-update-notifier crashing

When clicking the Update button of the dialog, eos-update-notifier crashes with the following error.

Error
# Option “-e” is deprecated and might be removed in a later version of gnome-terminal.
# Use “-- ” to terminate the options and put the command line to execute after it.
# _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation dconf (DConfSettingsBackend) for ‘gsettings-backend’
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/desktop/interface/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/settings-daemon/peripherals/mouse/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/desktop/sound/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/desktop/privacy/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/desktop/wm/preferences/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/xsettings/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/desktop/a11y/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/desktop/interface/" (establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/settings-daemon/peripherals/mouse/" (establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/desktop/sound/" (establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/desktop/privacy/" (establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/desktop/wm/preferences/" (establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/xsettings/" (establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/desktop/a11y/" (establishing: 1)
# _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation gvfs (GDaemonVfs) for ‘gio-vfs’
# watch_fast: "/org/gnome/terminal/legacy/" (establishing: 0, active: 0)
# unwatch_fast: "/org/gnome/terminal/legacy/" (active: 0, establishing: 1)
# watch_established: "/org/gnome/terminal/legacy/" (establishing: 0)
Deleting '/tmp/tmp.x29r80XKti'.
eos-update-notifier.conf
### eos-update-notifier configuration file

## Check also updates from AUR:
#
CheckAurUpdates=yes          # yes or no

## Check also Arch news for you:
#
CheckArchNewsForYou=no      # yes or no

## Alternative programs for showing the Arch news. Select one.
## Note: 'arch-news-for-you' uses an ad hoc way to determine if the news are
##       relevant to your machine. This mostly works well, but not always.
##       The 'eos-arch-news' shows news based on the date and shows only news
##       that are not yet shown.
## This option was added in eos-update-notifier version 0.9-1.
#
ArchNewsProg=eos-arch-news    # values: 'eos-arch-news' or 'arch-news-for-you'

## Prefer tray notification or small window for nofitying about updates?
##
## NOTE: if clicking the tray notification icon launches also the next panel item,
## a workaround is either to
##  - re-organize panel's notification area icons so that 'Yad' is not the first (uppermost), or
##  - add an empty launcher right next to the tray notification icon.
#
ShowHowAboutUpdates=window     # value: 'notify', 'notify+tray', 'tray', or 'window'

## What info to show about pending updates ("number of updates" or "package names");
## applies only when 'ShowHowAboutUpdates' is set to 'window':
#
ShowWhatAboutUpdates=packages  # values: 'number' or 'packages'
eos-script-lib-yad.conf
### Configuration file for eos-script-lib-yad.
###
### To enable any setting below, simply remove the starting '#' character
### on the appropriate line.

## Terminal program to be used by certain EndeavourOS packages
## like 'welcome' and 'eos-update-notifier'.
## Terminals that are known to be compatible are:
##        xfce4-terminal
##        konsole
##        gnome-terminal
##        mate-terminal
##        lxterminal
##        deepin-terminal
##        terminator
##        qterminal
##        tilix
##        termite
##        xterm
##        kitty
## If you have any of the above installed, EOS_YAD_TERMINAL need not be enabled.
## Then the programs will use the first available program listed above.
## Note: other than the listed terminals may or may not be compatible.
#
# EOS_YAD_TERMINAL="terminator"

## EOS_ROOTER configures the command for acquiring elevated privileges
## when running in terminal.
## Supported values:
##   "su -c"
##   "pkexec bash -c"
##   "sudo bash -c"
##   "/usr/bin/su -c"
##   "/usr/bin/pkexec bash -c"
##   "/usr/bin/sudo bash -c"
#
export EOS_ROOTER="sudo bash -c"

Can’t repeat it here.

A few things first:

• have you updated lately? Run: sudo pacman -Syu
  • desktop is Gnome and terminal gnome-terminal?

The terminal is one thing that could be changed, just to see if it is somehow terminal related. For example, please set

EOS_YAD_TERMINAL=xterm

in file /etc/eos-script-lib-yad.conf and try again.

@manuel

Yes, I am up to date. Yes, desktop is Gnome and I use gnome-terminal. I will experiment with other terminal options and see what happens.

Thanks.

EDIT: Up to date except for the one package I downgraded so eos-update-notifier would have something to do.

@manuel

Using xterm produced

xterm: cannot load font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1"

but did work. I’d really rather continue using gnome-terminal, so if there is anything I can do to help figure it out or fix it, please let me know.

Thanks for testing. Now I might have a clue why it happens, but let me create a new version of welcome. Let’s see if that helps anything.

@manuel This might help. I downgraded to 0.9.8 of eos-update-notifier and it produces the same output, but it also opens a terminal window and works.

EDIT: False alarm. It worked only once. I have tried multiple times and even rebooted, but it doesn’t want to work again.

Downgrading may bring other issues… I suggest you disable the eos-update-notifier for now and use terminal command
yay -Syu
for updating all packages, including AUR stuff if you have it.

Disabling the update notifier:
systemctl --user disable eos-update-notifier.timer

Thanks @manuel. I will do that. Or just use xterm until it gets sorted out.

I believe I’ll release it within an hour. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now version 2.2.14-1 is released.
Lets see how it goes. Please report the results. :smile:

2 Likes

@manuel

The output is still there, but gnome-terminal launched and I was able to update. Looks like you fixed it! Thanks!

1 Like

Could you still show the worrying output?
Or is it OK now?

way too much different places with eos-update-notifier informations and posts :wink:

https://forum.endeavouros.com/search?expanded=true&q=eos-update-notifier

1 Like

It affects people’s lives. :smile:

@manuel The output originally posted is still displayed when I run eos-update-notifier manually, but it doesn’t affect the functionality. It’s a warning about an option being deprecated, so it may cause failure at some point in the future. I’m fine with it the way that it is.

Thanks. Didn’t notice their deprecation announcement before your report.

If and when they remove the -e option, then we will remove gnome-terminal from the list of supported terminals. It is possible also that we implement another solution altogether.

I just tested it on my system which is up todate and it is checking for Arch news and updates and then the EndeavourOS update box goes away. So it is working correctly.

test

@ricklinux I’m not sure exactly what you are referring to. It now works on my system as well, but when there are updates, some debuggish looking output is displayed when launching gnome-terminal. As of this morning, the deprecation warning about Option -e is gone, but the rest is still there, including something new:

xkbcommon: ERROR: Key "<CAPS>" added to modifier map for multiple modifiers; Using Control, ignoring Lock

But since the terminal does launch and I can do the updates, I’m not concerned about it. I am glad to see the deprecation warning gone, though, as that suggests gnome-terminal will continue to be supported.

1 Like

There are lots of gnome changes happening, maybe that causes those warnings. But this is just a guess.

Actually I made a modification how gnome-terminal is used by the apps.
Now the -e option is not anymore used with gnome-terminal, but it is still used by all other supported terminals.

1 Like

I am also using the standard gnome terminal. I was just reporting that i thought it was working properly. At least at the time. But, it keeps getting changed due to development so i just have to roll with it! :wink:

2 Likes