EOS Server

So I’ve been watching with interest the doings around CentOS/ Rocky/Cloudlinux, and wondering…what would it take to build a server branch of EOS? I have mainly used Debian+Ubuntu for the servers I have built, and there have been issues still with dependency hell, out-of-date-ness for new hardware, etc.

Is it possible to fix a repo at -1month for instance? Or even configurable?

What other tools would be necessary for a corporate environment?

I have relied extensively on Webmin in the past for the *Deb distros, and it has limited functionality for Arch, so what else might there be? A central point for system admins is vital IMNSHO, particularly where Samba/AD is concerned.

Your thoughts?

Don’t do it.

Running Arch as a server OS is possible, as long as you like constantly looking after it and don’t want to run software which expects library versions to stay consistent.

Yes.

Configuration management, IdP, LDAP, Kerberos, …

4 Likes

I who know nothing would know better than to try to manage a server with arch or any roilling based distro. Stability and security are the watch words.

2 Likes

Do I hear the word Debian?

5 Likes

Yes, but I am think of “unrolling”, that is to slow down the update process hugely, and have it curated, so the parts that are being updated are being tested against all the common security flaws and hardware failings, in order to provide that stability and security, with the benefits of the speed in the Arch + pacman system. Yes it would be a huge undertaking, and require more $$$ than I have ever seen, but I was merely wondering about the technical feasibility.
And yes, @ricklinux, this would then be very similar to Debian, except based on the pacman system, and from my experience therefore less prone to breakage, with a more modern hardware handling.

It’s feasible, e.g. https://www.hyperbola.info/

It’s a mammoth task, though.

1 Like

How about a cheap(er) way - run a tester server separately, and keep the mirrorlist on the ‘real’ server a month behind running on the archives? Just sed the date for a month back, and run -Syyuu daily - and always have a month’s warning of trouble ahead.

OK - I only ran Netware when I needed servers - so I am probably out to lunch :grin:

@onyxnz
There are those who have the same opinion using Arch as a server. Some have done it I’m sure.

1 Like

I would read the comments at the bottom of that link you posted. :wink:

Not what I expected to see in there - more a base Arch install! :rofl:

1 Like

Didn’t you read the disclaimer? “I take no responsibility for the accuracy or inaccuracies of this article without prejudice” :laughing:

1 Like

It’s also an outdated guide - this was written back when the base package was still a group that included the kernel (and a few other little goodies like network management software, a text editor…). Follow this guide and you won’t have a kernel installed.

As always, one should refer to the Arch Wiki, as it is the most up-to-date installation guide for Arch.

4 Likes