Eos-rankmirrors returns possibly defunct sites

I am in Finland and eos-rankmirrors puts https://mirror.accum.se/mirror/endeavouros/repo/$repo/$arch first in the mirrorlist. It is possible that this site is defunct. At least pacman has not offered any updates for the last few days. When I run reflector-simple, the given servers and fully functional.
Is there any health check on mirrors?

eos-rankmirrors only ranks the EOS mirrors.

These only hold a very small number of packages.

Most of the packages come from the Arch mirrors.

You should try re-ranking your Arch mirrors.

You can do this from the welcome application or by installing rate-mirrors

1 Like

You might consider using rate-mirrors to test and generate a local mirror list.

To rate Arch mirrors from a Finland perspective, a command might look like this:

rate-mirrors --disable-comments-in-file --entry-country=FI --protocol=https arch --max-delay 7200  | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Then to rank EOS mirrors:

rate-mirrors --disable-comments-in-file --entry-country=FI --protocol=https endeavouros  | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist

You have to update to eos-rankmirrors 24.6.1-1, the mirror website DID change its URL address and the new one is in the above version number.

1 Like

@dalto is right, probably your Arch mirrorlist file
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
is not OK.
Could you show the contents of that file?

The other list of mirrors contains the EndeavourOS repo in file
/etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist
and that file may include the mirror you mentioned. This mirror should be very much functional.

Sorry, I do not have the right mirrorlist left any more. reflector-simple and rate-mirrors have now overwritten it. However, after running rate-mirrors as suggested, it seems to be ok now. The problem came after my one week trip. I made an update with yay and after that I received no updates for days.
I come back to this if the problem continues or reappears.

The mirrorlist can be regarded as non-precious. I let mine update almost daily, as part of my system update.
A single command (or strung commands more accurately) that updates Arch and Endeavour mirrorlists, syncs certificates and then updates packages and AUR looks like this:

(if not using Nvidia, you can remove the --nvidia on the end of the command)

rate-mirrors --disable-comments-in-file --entry-country=FI --protocol=https arch --max-delay 7200 | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && rate-mirrors --disable-comments-in-file --entry-country=FI --protocol=https endeavouros  | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist && eos-update --yay --nvidia

Each day I just up-arrow to that command, and hit enter.

1 Like

Personally, I do ever refresh my mirrorlists if I encounter any issues with them like low download speed, servers being down or not available etc.

For the Arch’s mirrorlist, if one or other user wish to, there is an option for automatically refresh them in the background by using a systemd service provided by reflector.

One would need to enable reflector.timer and set the preferences in /etc/xdg/reflector/reflector.conf.

Arch’s mirrorlist will then be refreshed on a weekly basis.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to do a mirror discovery procedure every day. Internet infra rarely changes that fast.

Finding reliable mirrors, being ones that keep up to date and are maintained, can be a good exercise and once a suitable mirror is discovered, one can park there for a long time.

I like the Arch constant.com mirror - this ISP has some fat pipes to major internet exchanges.

2 Likes

I never did the discovery until the mirror stopped working. There was no error message, nothing, just no updates any more.

Just to make sure, hopefully you have many mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist instead of only one.

My personal preference (for Finns :wink:) with Arch mirrors are the ones in Germany since many of them seem to be very well updated (although not all). And they usually are reasonably fast too.

Oh I agree it’s not necessary. One could reliably run the tests once and sit on those mirrors for a long while I expect.

The test itself does run quickly, so it’s a fairly trivial exercise. The reasoning is closer to, “because I can”, than anything essential :sweat_smile:

I am too from Finland, And i can also confirm that EOS doesn’t update properly here.
Updating with yay or pacman will only result in this output: error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.f4st.host : Failed to connect to mirror.f4st.host port 443 after 2347 ms: Couldn't connect to server error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirror.f4st.host : Failed to connect to mirror.f4st.host port 443 after 2347 ms: Couldn't connect to server error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from mirror.f4st.host : Failed to connect to mirror.f4st.host port 443 after 2347 ms: Couldn't connect to server warning: too many errors from mirror.f4st.host, skipping for the remainder of this transaction I have tried to update the mirrorlist with eos way and also by modifying the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist with new generated list from arch mirrorlist generato, And after those two it still doesn’t update, I also tried to install Vim on new install and it downloaded some of the dependencies but not all, Hope this gets fixed. Good Night/Öitä

Mirror f4st.host seems permanently offline, so better remove that line from file
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Good Morning / Hyvää Huomenta!

Thanks it works now,
I think the Arch Mirror Gen gave me just dead mirrors when I visited there, But I still wonder why the installation gave me dead mirror,
And now Apparently there are corrupted packages, I will look at my own from now on, I will visit the forums if i need help. Bye / Morjens!

Likely you did an offline install?
I’ll check the mirrorlist file for it.

no problem to share mirrorlist files… it does not contain provate data :wink:

cat /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist | eos-sendlog and share the url here so @manuel can check or me

@joekamprad
I just updated related ISO and calamares files and removed f4st.host mirror.
May need a hotfix…

I had issues in between with mirrors too, often the autobuilders were failing.
I will go try HotFixing it now. Also, its :fire: -ly hot in my office… Will be a real :hot_face: fix

Done …

https://github.com/endeavouros-team/ISO-hotfixes

2 Likes