EOS pushed Mint of #3

Agreed about Mint users. Most seem to have moved to LMDE but for some reason, Clem and the gang still push Ubuntu base. I think it’s because the time they have to spend on DE is much more than what they have to spend on Ubuntu base (I think).

In one of the posts, I posted my journey in the Linux path. Which I set out to explore alone I’d no one guide me I tough myself by making mistakes and asking dumb questions (I still do). I started with RHL (RedHat Linux not REHL). Then I settled on Ubuntu and installed it on every thing I owned (even my office computer). But used CentOS as a desktop distro for while but it was a learning thing.

I hacked the s…t out of that distro but when they moved to unity and with some what restricted hacking part I searched for another distro which lead me to Mint. But for some reason I was unable to fall in love with that distro. I’d to force my self to use it, which never happened to me when I was using vanilla Ubuntu.

Then I tried a few other stuff all were based on Ubuntu or Debian but none satisfied me. But then I’d to stop using Linux because of my work and I started to play games like an addict (which actually saved me from killing myself. Not lying I have a pretty fed up mind), so started using Wind0w5. But I never gave up on my first love Linux.

Then I saw MX Linux which actually made me fall back in love with Linux. It brought back what I loved about Linux. Hacking around and tweaking the distro to see how can I lose my data :wink: the stupidest way I can. But all this was done in a VM (I basically used a VM as my desktop). I was scared to move away from Wind0w5 because of games (I kind of have to keep my mind away from RL otherwise I lose myself to the dark side).

I always wanted to break away from Wind0w5, then I watched this “EF - Linux Made Simple” youtube channel. And I saw Arch, that was the time I said f… games Arch is the way. Practiced on a VM until I was fluent with the installation of Arch. I was ready to lose everything and then I saw this purplish sale on DistroWatch which had a name which said journey (Endeavor).

I knew I’m in love again, Endeavor is Arch noob proofed. It didn’t try to be another Manjaro clone. It tried to be Arch by easing the installation and then giving pre-configured DE. After that, it’s all on us to tinker, edit or break and then make EnOS to something suites us. This is why I’m in love with this thing and I’m not looking forward to returning to something Debian-based.

Why am I sharing about my life here I don’t know do I have an end to this I don’t think so. I’m just gonna stop now. And @Orca I would like to introduce Grammariy to you. It helps with grammar issues, spelling also corrects entire sentences to make sense, and also shows the mood of the posts we’re typing. It’s free and you can get a subscription if you want more advanced help but free is enough for most of the stuff.

Don’t if you’re using it but if you’re not give it try.

1 Like

How people get famous is not always directly related to their worth or accomplishments. Their fame empowers them nonetheless. I think it’s the same with distros. It doesn’t really matter that DW is meaningless as a metric. It is a metric where other sensible metrics are harder to gauge. So it sends a message and affects popularity. I wouldn’t call DW completely irrelevant for this reason.
I mean if there were any other popular more relevant real-time distro popularity measurement tool people would use that.

1 Like

Used Manjaro for a bit, as well as Ubuntu and Fedora for a few days each. What I found is that EndeavourOS is not that much harder to use than other distros. For nvidia select nvidia at start up and that’s it. Maybe, a downside for new users would be using terminal for installing applications instead of gui. In the end, honestly, when u get used to it, not much of a difference between gui and cli. There is always possibility to install pamac.
For exchange, experience is much faster, cleaner than any other mentioned distro. KDE was never this fast for me before, as well as gnome. Now trying BSPWM, and absolutely love WM.
For me EOS absolutely deserve spot above other distros on DW and should be ranked even higher.

1 Like

I assume you mean Grammarly.

Yes, I think butchered the name.

1 Like

It’s telling us a trend, what’s hot now and what’s on the up and/or down. The DW chart gives us an image of the mood of the users, where their interest is. And right now everybody seems to be advanced enough to try their hands in Endeavour and leave *buntu-ish distros behind.

1 Like

I hope that no one takes my previous comment here (“Manjaro is the next to 'fall”) seriously. DistroWatch is a “fun” place to visit (and the reviews it features every week are of a great deal of interest to me) but, regarding practical purposes, the rankings are of no real meaning whatsoever.

To tell you the truth, I hope that EndeavourOS never makes it to #1. At that point a lot of people who need more Linux experience will try it, be confused by it, and will give it a poor review (“bad-mouth” it).

I, like many people, started with Ubuntu way back in the “dark ages” (2008), disliked the Unity desktop when they converted to that from Gnome a couple of years later, left Ubuntu, subsequently tried over twenty distros (including Linux Mint, Fedora, Mageia, OpenSUSE, etc.) and finally arrived at Antergos, which I really liked.

But EndeavourOS, which really “grew out from” Antergos is, by far, the very best GNU/Linux operating system I have ever used.

That said, it is my personal opinion that the best distro for people new to Linux is MX Linux which is based on Debian. It is easy to set up and it’s straightforward in use. It even comes with its own “owner’s manual.” Once someone becomes familiar with MX Linux and experienced with Linux in general, if that person desires to have something more sophisticated and capable, at that point the person could try EndeavourOS.

If nothing else, a new EnOS user will be amazed at the overall quality and friendliness of this forum.

I have never looked back and I suspect that there are many other people like me.

Thanks for reading this.

Lawrence

2 Likes

I think EndeavourOS does move to #1 spot for a while even if it doesn’t stay there. I think it deserves every credit it’s gotten so far in barely 2 years. I like ALL linux and i have probably tried more of the top 100+ on DW then most of the users here and this isn’t to brag or anything. I just try them and see how they compare. I like to see how they are set up and see what the install process is like. I know which distro’s i prefer. I’m always going back and checking them out to see how they have changed but EOS is my main driver! Always will be!

2 Likes

Can I get a link to the blog?

1 Like

It is in the first post in a giant box…

1 Like

There’s nothing controversial about your opinion. Mint and EOS are aimed at very different markets. Mint Cinnamon is practically a drop-in replacement for Windows (“spreadability”) whereas EOS is Arch with an installer. They’re not even apples & oranges. More like apples & hammers. I’m pleased EOS’s stock is rising but I would still guide a brand new Linux noob to Mint first.

1 Like

EOS Cinnamon is well …like Mint Cinnamon. Just a little less Mint! :wink:

3 Likes

And a little bit more Lavender :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We need this for a back ground 1920x1080 :wink: For EOS!

Edit: It’s Lavender Mint!

2 Likes

it’s NOT a Linux blog btw. :nerd_face:

1 Like

It’s actually very much like mint. . . With pacman. That’s why I love it. I still think Cinnamon is fantastic. I’d still use it daily if KDE didn’t have a few things that push it over the edge.

1 Like

I was referring to Mint Cinnamon being green and EOS Cinnamon is purple. So EOS Cinnamon is like Lavender Mint. :wink:

It is still one of my favourites also. But i like KDE Plasma a lot too.

1 Like

What a fun blog! It has just earned spot on my sparsely populated bookmarks bar. Thanks for the link.

1 Like