EOS KDE Desktop suddenly Glitched Out

HI all,
Really need your help here!
After a complete update using paru (2 days since prev. update), my entire desktop is graphically glitching out. See screenshot!

The glitching changes the graphics on the taskbar every second, and characters are missing all over. Except when running regular applications, i can use konsole, kate and firefox and other applications just fine, no glitches at all there.
Steam glitches out completely and is unusable!
As I am on btrfs i tried rolling back to a known good snapshot a month ago, but where i am supposed to get the sddm login screen i instead get a black screen with a std X11 mousepointer.
I tried different kernels (linux-xanmod is my usual, then linux-vanilla, xanmod-edge, lqx, zen, amdzv4) but same thing happens: on early snapshot i get blackscreen for login, and latest i can login but everything on desktop glitches out.
I tried both Wayland and my regular Xorg DM, same on both ends!
I want to reinstall EOS, though it seems like a hassle to me as I’ve spend a lot of time customizing a lot of things. But decided to ask you guys for help, as i might 1. learn some essential recovery skills, 2. avoid time-consuming re-customization efforts!
Let me know which debug-info u need, I will provide whatever u need to my best ability!

inxi -Fxxc0z | eos-sendlog
https://0x0.st/Hdv6.txt

Boot log:
https://0x0.st/HdvI.txt

These are all different configurations of the same major kernel version. You should try linux-lts in this situation since it is a different kernel version.

Have you fixed this issue? Are you back to a working system with graphical issues? What is the current state of your problem?

I have a working system, yes, playing a game for testing atm, works fine! But desktop is still glitching out! Rolled back to linux-lts kernel, still same!
System seems to work perfectly fine, just the graphics glitching out in all system related windows

Can we see the contents of your /etc/pacman.conf

https://0x0.st/HdwZ.txt

Whoa…that is a lot of 3rd party repos.

Can you share pacman -Qq | grep -E "mesa|amd|radeon"

amd-ucode
amdfand-bin
amdgpu-full-bin
amdguid-glow-bin
amdmond-bin
amdvlk
amdvold-bin
lib32-amdgpu-pro-oglp
lib32-amdvlk
lib32-mesa-git
lib32-vulkan-amdgpu-pro
linux-amd
linux-amd-headers
mesa-git
mesa-utils
radeon-profile-daemon-git
radeon-profile-git
xf86-video-amdgpu

been trying different stuff, might garbled everything even further lol
also had to compile and run mesa-git, cant replace it w regular, cuz of dependency hell, could that be it?

First, I would try replacing

amdvlk
lib32-amdvlk

with

lib32-vulkan-radeon
vulkan-radeon

These are better performing and generally more compatible.

If that doesn’t work, I would replace mesa-git with mesa

Yes. It is possible. mesa-git means running unreleased software. Whenever you do that you should expect issues.

You should be able to replace it with mesa. It may just take some dependency management.

That did it! THANK YOU! so far, though, because i cannot yet replace lib32-vulkan-radeon, dependency hell:

sudo pacman -S lib32-vulkan-radeon
[sudo] password for gabriel:
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
:: lib32-vulkan-radeon and lib32-mesa-tkg-git are in conflict. Remove lib32-mesa-tkg-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing lib32-mesa-tkg-git breaks dependency ‘lib32-mesa’ required by lib32-gst-plugins-base-libs
:: removing lib32-mesa-tkg-git breaks dependency ‘lib32-mesa’ required by lib32-gtk3
:: removing lib32-mesa-tkg-git breaks dependency ‘lib32-mesa’ required by lib32-libglvnd
:: removing lib32-mesa-tkg-git breaks dependency ‘lib32-opengl-driver’ required by lib32-libglvnd
:: removing lib32-mesa-tkg-git breaks dependency ‘lib32-mesa’ required by lib32-libtxc_dxtn

Hmmm… I guess, I’m in for a dependency go-around…

1 Like

Replace it with lib32-mesa

2 Likes

facepalm OFC, that did it! :smiley:
Christ, You’re are fast! Thanks, You’re a definite lifesaver there!
I bow to sensei dalto :wink:
:+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.