EOS install on Dell 7480 laptop

Hi all,
I just bought a bargain 2nd hand Dell Latitude 7480 laptop & thought I’d ask what advice folk would have for installing/running EOS on this laptop. Specs:

• 14" i7-6600U (dual core mthread) 2.6GHz + HD Graphics 520
  • 1x 16GB DDR4 2400 (+ 1x empty DIMM)
  • 256GB SATA 3 2280 M.2 (PUA: Windoze 10 Pro)
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 + Bluetooth 4.2
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A Wireless 5811e LTE Mobile
  • USB-C 3.1 with Thunderbolt 3
  • Contactless Smartcard (NFC?)
  • Fingerprint Reader
  • 1920 x 1080 anti-glare + camera & mic

I’m considering buying a used/new-old-stock NVME Gen 3 x4 (iirc 7480 uses only x2 lanes) for installing EOS & keeping the Windoze one for swapping in if needed for BIOS/firmware updates (still see too many manufacturers/vendors publishing Windoze exes for this, wish it were all FWUPD/LVFS).

My desktop is Plasma EOS with Fat32 Boot/EFI + BTRFS / + BTRFS /home (boot/update/daily snapshots of / with grub snapshots menu) but for a laptop I’m unsure how I will partition & what sizes to use for EFI & /. I would like to stick with Plasma & BTRFS + snapshots, I won’t be using a separate /home partition on it but will make swap, either 16GB or 32GB to accommodate future possibility of adding another 16GB DDR4.

Any advice or suggestions on partition size & layout, swap, drivers & packages & configs (WLAN + BT, power management, fingerprint reader, etc) are welcome, even duel (sic) booting with Windoze for lulz.

with BTRFS it will create a @home subvolume already
2024-06-18_00-33

If you want to use hibernate you should have swap and resume setup (installer have the option to use swap with hibernate) Also personal preferring swapfile with BTRFS sadly calamares installer does not offer the option to add resume/hibernate support with swapfile… you would need to add this manually after first boot into installed system

Thanks for joekamprad :slight_smile:

Is there a guide here for this, or can it be set using GPartEd?

Archwiki has a part with it… you can simply ask here if you want to do so in case:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate#Acquire_swap_file_offset
part of the setup …

some users suggesting also to use zram instead…
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate#Maintaining_swap_file_for_hibernation_with_zram

But you can also go to use swap partition with hibernate this will work out of the box

1 Like

Thanks Joe :slight_smile:

Would this be a suitable partition layout for a 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD laptop:

• 300 MiB FAT32: /boot/esp
  • remainder GiB BTRFS: /
  • 16 or 32 GiB swap: swap + hibernate
    ^ I may add 16GB RAM later, limited budget

If I put the swap partition last I guess later on I could shrink / by 16 GiB & increase swap by 16 GiB to accommodate more RAM, but I don’t know if this is wise, probably require remapping/reconfiguring swap?

in case you do use erase disk on the installer you can also add the resume/hibernate option with swap this will set the size according to the installed amount of RAM and suitable for hibernate usage.
And it is /boot/efi or /efi on EndeavourOS for the ESP
If you use Grub it is needed to set /boot/efi as mountpoint (for manual partition) and in case of systemd-boot it will need /efi as mountpoint for the ESP (for manual partition) automatic partition options set these correctly on its own indeed…

The ESP also has minimum size to be used… for Grub this is 300MB but systemd-boot needs a minimum of 1GB (its stores kernel // images there)

Hehe, yep my slip, had meant efi not esp. Thanks for the tips about Grub vs systemd-boot ESP requirements, I didn’t know because I’ve used Grub boot so much, not even sure I’ve ever done systemd-boot before :thinking:

Thanks again Dok

1 Like