Eos can't read the file system of my portabel hard drive

Hi, i am new here. I’ve installed and enjoyed eos (Gnome version) for more than a month on a probably 14 years old Acer I saved from the city dump :slightly_smiling_face: Now my problem is that I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive (my passport) from which aimed to paste a big amount of files from another secondhand laptop (Lenovo on which I run bunsenlabs). The unit shows up, but when I try to open it I obtain the following message,

Was not able to reach "My Passport
Error mount /dev/sbd1 at /run/media/ingvar/My passport: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on/devsbd1/ missing codepage or helper program, or other error
OK

I used that hard drive for copy/paste between Windows and many Linux distros many times before, but never faced this problem. Using USB sticks is no problem. I strongly believe there will be a solution, probably some kind of software …

Thanks in advance, /Ingvar

Do you happen to know what filesystem is on the disk?

Else can you run this command to find out:
lsblk -f

No, but for sure it’s the modern file system used for Windows.

I am still a beginner using the terminal, only running the command lsblk -f the terminal says that command is not there …

you may need to do a disk check and make sure you unmount the device before unplugging it. MS File systems are notorious for damage if unplugged before its unmounted properly.

try /usr/bin/lsblk -f

The file system seems to be NTFS. I always unmount before removing. Not damaged, it works fine on my other computers (Windows and different Linux) :wink:

Have a read here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS-3G and see if you can mount it via command line.

Thanks everyone! I’ll take a break now. When the problem is eventually solved I’ll let you know :wink:

If you encounter any issues alomg the way, don’t hesitate to post about it here. I’m sure many knowledgeable and helpful forum members will reach out to you.

Good luck @Ingvar and welcome to EnOS’ community!

:enos: :handshake:t5: