Energy saving (profiles) relevant with a Desktop computer?

Hello guys,

i want to know if energy saving is enabled in endeavourOS for desktop computer compared to Windows 10?

How about mobile machines? Is the battery life the same like windows 10?

Thank you.

What does Win10 energy saving do?

I consider having a pretty decent battery life on Arch, especially after applying some of this (which also can be sometimes beneficial to desktop users, it says) and using a WM instead of a DE.
Although I guess some DEs can provide extra functionality and make power management easier.

Also worth reading (for laptops): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop#Power_management

With a laptop you have a battery life of 15 hours with Windows 10. The same laptop just used with linux you lost 5 hours, so you have 10 hours left. Reason is the minimum of energy saving mechanism. But that was back in 2018, does it changes with the current versions of endeavourOS?

As most of the things on Linux if you install the right tools and configure them right you should get same if not better results than Windows.

Utilities you could look into: TLP and powertop. They are both power controlling utilities.

[update] The paragraph below, regarding preconfigured EOS power saving is uncertain. While my one time experience was just as I wrote it down below, apparently it’s not the case with all hardware, so your mileage might vary[/update]

EndeavourOS uses TLP and has pretty aggressive power saving features preconfigured out of the box, especially for running on battery (it will limit the speed of the CPU to minimum spec speed on battery, a bit too much for my liking actually).

Anyway, I’ve made my own settings and disabling the dedicated graphics card I got my system to run around 7.5 watts at idle, and around 12.5 watts when actually doing stuff on the PC. All this with WIFi on and without reducing the screen brightness. My machine has a 6 core 12 threads Intel i7-10710U CPU, which is not a meek CPU at all: the CPU itself goes up to 45W when on AC.

There are some GUI tools to adjust the two utilities i mentioned earlier, but actually getting them dialed up to your liking will take some experimenting around.

To see how you’re standing check out the powerstat utility (you will need to install it with yay -S powerstat) that will show total computer power draw (it only shows correct numbers when running on battery, but I think current version can also tell you how the machine fares power-wise when connected to AC).

You can run it for example with the command powerstat -d 5 1 to measure every 1 second for a few mintues. Change various settings to see how things change. I see some jumps when i connect a monitor for example, also when running CPU intensive taks like benchmarks or power stressing.

You can use the s-tui utility (you will need to install it with yay -S s-tui) to monitor CPU utilization, and even to simulate some heavy computation on one or multiple cores to see how that affects your power draw, and also to observe how the various power management tools affect your CPU behaviour (power and performance wise) when on battery or AC.

Undervolting the CPU can also help you get better power results and a higher boost frequency in the same power envelope.

Here’s a reddit post regarding someone’s experience with a gaming laptop. https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/as4zzw/my_experience_on_gs65_stealth006_rtx_2060_and/
While I wouldn’t necessarily say that his advice are the best out there (i have had better results with tlp than with powertop), it proves that what you ask can be done in Linux.

1 Like

we do only enable TLP per default for a minimum of powersaving, you will need to set this up manually:

On my install (around january) the power profile was pretty limiting for my CPU model. Maybe things have changed since?

that’s the reason for us to not enable much stuff, it is highly related to hardware specifications, and there are different ways to get the best power saving for your hardware and for what you personally prefer.

1 Like

10 hours of difference sounds pretty unrealistic tbh, even with no (custom) power saving configuration on linux… Especially knowing how heavy Windows tends to be.

@nate gave some pretty good advices. TLP especially is worth looking into, it is quite easy to configure and definitely will pay off. Also, blacklisting unused modules can have an impact.

hmm, ok, I don’t want to be misleading here, so I updated my post above, emphasizing that this was my singular experience, but, well my experience was such that the power limitations on my CPU were so draconian that it crippled my CPU down to the performance of a core 2 duo (with CPU not going above 1100mhz). I tried tweaking it but any settings i was making were somehow overriden by something that came preinstalled. It was so frustrating I eneded up firing up Manjaro and managed to configure the power settings without any issue. I’m still using that Manjaro install to this date because of this issue.

Maybe if I were to install EOS today, I’d skip the tlp install via calamares and go manual install after the fact.

Keep in mind that simply having the dedicated GPU (if present) running without power management can add up to 20-45watt by itself. It’s not hard to get really bad results if configuration is bad.

A U series intel CPU has a power consumption of 5w-45w at extremes. Configuring it wrong can cause it to always stay at maximum power. Considering a battery ranges from anywhere round 40wh to 99wh, that can mean 1h to 16h of battery mileage.

Btw with modern nvidia GPUs (>16xx and 20xx) the power management built-in into nvidia proprietary drivers ( v > 440.xx ) is very much improved in Linux, so much so that at idling the card draws around 2-3 w. It’s more than 0, but at this low values, I don’t even bother to disable it at all. I just keep it always on.