EndeavourOS on XMG Core 15

Hi all!

I am not a experienced linux user, but I have used Pop_OS! and Ubuntu for a while (2 months :smiley: ). I recently got a new laptop, which is XMG Core 15 with AMD Ryzen 7 4800H and Nvidia RTX 2060 Refresh. I wanted to run linux on my machine and I installed Pop_OS!. It was working great at first until I tried to run Dota2 on steam. The game didnt load and I could not do anything during that time so killed the machine by pressing the power button. Andddd, I was not able to boot into PopOS. I tried it several times but did not work. So I decided to switch to Ubuntu. But the installer has crashed 3 times so it was a no go either. Right now I am running windows but I really want to run linux.

I have been reading and trying some stuff with Arch linux. I also installed it on VM and I was able to install it! But I dont think it was a clean install because I had some problems and etc. But Arch seems really good fit for me, since I do play games and do some programming, also my hardware is relatively new. I want to try EndeavourOS since it has an installer and support for nvidia drivers (dedicated iso for that). But I got concerns whether is it a good fit for my machine, since I got problems with POP and Ubuntu. I know I need to install amd-ucode, but I guess I do not need to do anything else additional to installation.

My question is; are there anyone running endeavour on xmg core? what about the control center? Is tuxedo control center (AUR package) really working?

Thanks!

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, this is a very narrow question that can only be answered by a very small number of people. Therefore, unless someone has written an entry in the Arch wiki, you will have to try it to see how it works.

Wait…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_QC71

:wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer!

Yeh, I saw this but it is not the exact same model with mine. Tuxedo computers sells this chassis with Polaris 15 but could not find anything specific to that.

Let’s see whether are there anyone using Arch on Core 15 :wink:

You could also ask the retailer rather than hoping someone will be able to solve your hypothetical issue?

Or just search the web?

Or, you know, just try it?

I did search the web. I have sent a message to Cherenkov11 (the first responder under this post), he told me he cannot control the fans and the keyboard backlighting. Keyboard light is not quite important but I do like to control my fans.

Also, retailer suggests using windows. I mailed tuxedocomputers as well. But I wanted to post here since I might find some people who are already using Arch on this chasis.

Finally, I did try 2 different (they are basically the same thing but) debian based distros and they were not working. But you did see that since you read the post.

I also installed it on VM and I was able to install it! But I dont think it was a clean install because I had some problems and etc. But Arch seems really good fit for me, since I do play games and do some programming, also my hardware is relatively new. I want to try EndeavourOS since it has an installer and support for nvidia drivers (dedicated iso for that). But I got concerns whether is it a good fit for my machine, since I got problems with POP and Ubuntu. I know I need to install amd-ucode, but I guess I do not need to do anything else additional to installation.

So, you PM’d someone on a different site but didn’t mention it in your OP.

This is the EndeavourOS forum?

Yes indeed. You can also try the live installer environment on the hardware itself and see how it works.

Seriously, install it and try it. You’ve already installed and discounted two distros, so installing one more to see if it’s a “good fit” is hardly going to break anything.

Plus, you don’t have to put up with slightly snarky posts from people who don’t understand why, if there are three switches and the first two didn’t work then you didn’t just try the third one. (bonus points for anyone who gets the reference)

2 Likes

My intention is not to be “snarky”. Sorry if you get that tone.

• Yes I did search the web and pm’d someone who is using arch linux and did not mention it here. Because that guy is running Vanilla Arch, not EndeavourOS. And you know since here is the EndeavourOS forum I wanted to ask here as well.
  • That’s my mistake, I wanted to mean Endeavour, because you know, Nvidia is working out of the box with the 2021 Feb iso.

• Finally, No there are no 3 switches to kill this computer but I have a master’s degree to complete, so I cannot afford distro hopping for multiple times. Every time I need to install specific apps - FSL, Freeview and etc- , which take some time. I tried 2 distros and installed Windows to save the day.

Loves to you Jonathon

1 Like

OP, as before mentioned try the live EOS and install it.
Also, if you tried PopOS already and worked (until Dota) here are some things to try.
Both in EOS or PopOS install using either BTRfs or EXT4 but with snapshots and Timeshift .
Things go wrong? Just go back to the last working state either by snapshot (BTRfs) or Timeshift snapshot (ext4).
Make regular backups of your home folder and set the snapshot so the /home directory wouldn’t be affected.

Some things to be aware.
Yes, Linux is great and all, but new hardware is a hit or miss with Linux kernel. Older , to say so, hardware, laptops benefit from longer time of added kernel patches and proprietary blobs.
Everything will improve eventually in time, but the problem lies with motherboard/CPU/GPU manufacturers releasing firmware to be accepted and added to main kernel revision.

No, I was talking about me! :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

The fastest answer to your question in the OP is to try it yourself.

Not telling you how to spend your time, and whether video games should be a part of that, but if you’ve got a master’s degree to finish, and don’t even have the time to try out a new distro… Just sayin’…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that. I dont know why I didnt do that in the first place. I guess I was being hypochondriac for my new system…

Yes, actually that’s the first reason why I asked here. Because it really depends on the hardware…

You know, sometimes it is good to have a distraction something like games. It helps. 1 game lasts around 40 minutes, but distro hopping and doing tweaks takes significantly more than that. So I prefer to play for a break. Also, I am trying new distros on VMs…

Make a timeshift snapshot and copy it to a separate drive (preferably external). Now you can try a different OS, and if it does not work, you can restore the old one in a matter of minutes.

Of course, you already have your home directory backed up, don’t you? That’s the most important thing.