EndeavourOS on a slow machine, how to fix it?

if database still locked … answer is in your screenshot.

• why use “sudo” on root ?
5 Likes

with a fresh boot image

@Shjim - i had no overview at this time srry

How to add more swap?! - i guess that i do this on commandline

this help on swap

@Shjim

i guess - that this is for me:

**Further for all file systems:

Use dd to create a swap file the size of your choosing. For example, creating a 512 MiB swap file (for all filesystems)

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=512 status=progress

Replace count=512 with the amount of MB you want to install for swap use. then:

sudo chmod 600 /swapfile

To give the swap file root-only permissions.

sudo mkswap /swapfile

To make the file as swap space and finally to enable the file:

sudo swapon /swapfile

Edit the fstab configuration to add an entry for the swap file:

/etc/fstab

/swapfile none swap defaults 0 0

Note: The swap file must be specified by its location on the file system, not by its UUID or LABEL.

to check: - should i run these commands… -. and do it like this.

swapon --show

i will do this later today - and will report all

1 Like

This looks very much like Xfce :wink:

Or did I miss something?

1 Like

Xfce was so nicely themed in eos that users mistake it for KDE plasma. Not indexing issue then :grin:

3 Likes

as its older and a bit of a struggle, why not go the whole way and install LXQT de instead? Light as a feather and visually very nice and slick. Just an idea to throw in the mix…

1 Like

Swap file solves part of your problem.

The Asus A54L specs say it has 2 ram slots (4Gb soldered). You could easily pick up a 4GB or 8GB 2Rx8 DDR3 PC3L-12800 204pin CL=11 DDR3-1600 1.35V SODIMM. I picked up a piece of 4Gb for 20 € and trust me, when I say you don’t get any good deals where I live, so depending on your country and access to markets, it would proabably be worth your while.

Since you love :enos: so much, it may be worth upgrading the memory and keeping EnOS on an older computer, since it does not really need a high spec machine. I also think KDE may be a bit much for your computer, so I would look at some other DE’s.

I wish you well :smile:

1 Like

Personally i don’t think giving it more memory is going to help. The processor is too slow. It’s an i3 likely a dual core. Having that many tabs open on a browser is not something i would ever do. Every tab you open uses more and more resources. I have 32 GB memory on a more powerful system and it’s just something i would never do. It looks like xfce to me also.

3 Likes

As said before, you are asking too much from your machine with those specs and age, no matter which DE or WM you run.

Running a browser with 32 tabs open on that machine is like trying to pull a caravan or camper trailer with a Smart. (the two-seater car)

Just lower your expectations for that machine and you can have a lot of fun with it.

EDIT: Plasma isn’t a heavyweight DE anymore, in some cases it is even lighter than Xfce. :wink:

2 Likes

Vivaldi and Edge are both based on Chromium, which consumes significantly more RAM than Fox.

1 Like

That’s scandalous! Good to know that I was on the right path all along :grin:

1 Like

Yes, the Asus A54L is dual core.

32 open tabs in Vivaldi is asking a lot. Still Bryan, I have a similar spec and age laptop to @otrott to which I just added a piece of 4Gb, and it runs as fast as I will ever want for the tasks it is used for.

I totally agree. If I was going to run Davinci Resolve, then this would not be the computer to do it with :wink:

4 Likes

hello you all
mille gracie for all your tipps and consideations - they are great. Well to be frank.
as mentioned above - this was only a testinstallation. And it was the very first time i have installes EndeavourOS. And the user-exprerience with this OS is great - and i am happy to be part of this great community -

i think this is a very big thing - and plz consider this not as a minor aspect. The community here - is so helpful, supportive and great. I like this very much.

so i will install the OS on another Laptop with a bit more power.
and yes: many thanks also for the hints regarding the Vivaldi browser…

BTW: i have some notebooks where i want to install the OS too:
Lenovo G 780 with I5
Lenovo Thinkpad 510 with I5

do you think that i should do this.?!

have a great day -. many greetings
yours Otrott :wink:

We are happy to have you.

That is what drew me to :enos: and I am staying docked in this port. I lurked on the forum for over a week after getting a not so great reception form another unnamed distro.

I am a Vivaldi afficionado, the music and the browser. AMA :grin:

You will be fine on those laptops. Enjoy!