EndeavourOS i3wm needs some manual intervention for terminator

[joekamprad@eos-2020.04.19 >~]$ terminator
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/terminator", line 48, in <module>
    import terminatorlib.optionparse
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/terminatorlib/optionparse.py", line 24, in <module>
    from . import config
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/terminatorlib/config.py", line 75, in <module>
    from configobj import ConfigObj, flatten_errors
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'configobj'

seems:
python-configobj is missing …
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66329?project=5&string=terminator

so installing this will repair the issue that terminator is not starting:
sudo pacman -S python-configobj

we do think also about switching to xfce4-terminal for i3 — > you will be informed

always check here:
https://forum.endeavouros.com/c/desktop-environments/i3wm/23

1 Like

Just a thought about choosing what to put where… Functionality is required, and should be easy (and easy to find help for). I suspect that anyone who thinks they need something totally optimized (lighter, thinner whatever) should be able to make the change for themselves :grin: Just like Firefox - there are lighter ways, there may be better ways - but it works well, and nearly everyone can use it. Size and lightness issues tend be more philosophical than physical these days of cheap memory and storage etc. I see the purpose as providing a good start - and let the end user tweak etc.

Freebird54

1 Like

someone experienced will find his ways to configure and install everything sure, but the idea is a soft start for the configuration of i3 and tiling WM.
So a terminal with an easy way to configure from a graphical menu is more convenient then something like xterm :wink:

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking - that even led to me importing gnome-terminal on many places, just to know NOW how to configure it. I know there are many effective alternatives, but… Now that I’ve had time to look others, I could get by with many of them - xfce’s default for one. Same thing happens with editing - I used to import gedit as a middle ground - now I find Leafpad is enough for anything I don’t need vs-Code for. So there I would suggest leafpad - and it CAN edit in sudo mode if needed. Of course, I don’t enough about xed to have an opinion on it yet :grin:

From there, the learning can begin for those wanting to.

nano is also nice to use, and handling is not that hard :wink:

I think nano is a life-saver! I quickly learned to add it to the pacstrap command when installing Arch directly! It is certainly a good fallback position!

1 Like

micro is the new nano, my 0,02 € :wink:

Bildschirmfoto_2020-04-22_17-17-35
it has now line numbers !

2 Likes

micro has colors :yum: :wink: , ok not for grub.cfg :smiley: :wink:

Summary

1 Like

O - I’ll bite. What is micro - and what is the package name? I tried a quick look for it, and got 472 possibilities - a bit too many to try to recognize it in! Inquiring minds…

I never heard about micro :slight_smile:

And vim has it all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Summary

2020-04-22-193313_1366x768_scrot

I recall vim being a tad better than ‘traditional’ vi, but only a tad. I’m afraid I’d get lost now…

eVim ?

This is also valid for EOS with GNOME.

Just vim, I don’t know any other…
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/vim/

I’ve found evim man, but can’t find the package even on aur.

e for easy vim … i do not think someone not used to these will be comfortable using VIM

1 Like

I can be comfortable - just not capable or productive! :grin:

agreed, vim is not the best choice for sure.

If you used vi before, I don’t think there will be any problem with that :slight_smile:
I never used vi, but the changes shouldn’t be that hard to get used to.

It’s in chaotic-aur, in other Distros standard IIRC, mint I am shure :wink: :thinking:
In MJ also in pamac, I can only remember in the dark … :smiley:

Features, for those who do not want to go to github to read.

Features

• Easy to use and install.
  • No dependencies or external files are needed — just the binary you can download further down the page.
  • Multiple cursors.
  • Common keybindings (Ctrl+S, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Z, …).
    • Keybindings can be rebound to your liking.
  • Sane defaults.
    • You shouldn’t have to configure much out of the box (and it is extremely easy to configure).
  • Splits and tabs.
  • nano-like menu to help you remember the keybindings.
  • Extremely good mouse support.
    • This means mouse dragging to create a selection, double click to select by word, and triple click to select by line.
  • Cross-platform (it should work on all the platforms Go runs on).
    • Note that while Windows is supported Mingw/Cygwin is not (see below)
  • Plugin system (plugins are written in Lua).
    • micro has a built-in plugin manager to automatically install, remove, and update plugins.
  • Built-in diff gutter
  • Simple autocompletion
  • Persistent undo.
  • Automatic linting and error notifications
  • Syntax highlighting for over 130 languages.
  • Color scheme support.
    • By default, micro comes with 16, 256, and true color themes.
  • True color support (set the MICRO_TRUECOLOR environment variable to 1 to enable it).
  • Copy and paste with the system clipboard.
  • Small and simple.
  • Easily configurable.
  • Macros.
  • Common editor features such as undo/redo, line numbers, Unicode support, soft wrapping, …
2 Likes

I see it in AUR :slight_smile:
2020-04-22-202712_1366x768_scrot

2 Likes