EndeavourOS for productivity/business use scenarios

Hello, I have been using linux at work for slightly over a decade now, have distro hopped off and on, I use some testing distros for security assessments in the work environment. I work in IT in healthcare, and focus in administrative, networking and cybersecurity. I recently have been using Arch this year and installed it on 3 computers and backing up on a daily basis to a Debian Server just in case anything goes wrong I imagine it would be very unlikely all three would go bad at the same time however been thinking of using at least one different distro to change things up. I thought I’d give EndearousOS a try. I’ve only been using it for a couple days and was wondering anyone here uses it for in your work environment and how has your experience been?

2 Likes

I have a similar use to you… me too from IT, and using linux about 10 years, arch from 1 year ago, and will migrate my work notebook to EOS on next week…
I’ve tested EOS in a virtual machine for 1 week, do all my daily activities on it, and 0 problems, too similar to arch vanilla…
I think you will have no problems too.

Sugestion: install it on a virtual machine, and test all your work, activities on it, and if you see that it serves you well, just go!
EOS appear to be a great distro, with a great community

2 Likes

it’s fine, same as windows (except windows sucks). for you own business/commerce/moneymaking you basically need:
**sturdy fortified browser–(linux-agnostic)
**face-to-face software (I use zoom from the AUR and occasionally have use G Meets (browser) but I will confess I can’t get Webex sound and picture synced together on any distro…and in a perfect world we’d all use Jitsi…
**tough firewall enabled on default (kudos Endeavour)
**office suite apps (platform agnostic)
**cloud apps (platform agnostic)
**perhaps Mastodon and other channel software (better on linux)
**any number of native apps: password managers & creators like pwgen, pdfunite, dd, and a ton of CLI apps that out-perform mac and pc as far as productivity [non-gui CLI apps never get enough love]…
**I’m probably forgetting stuff since I cracked my first tecate…

the short version goes: I installed Endeavour and began working productively immediately, with no shortcomings
2 cents
enjoy and :beers: cheers

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback it has been working out great, it has been a busy and stress filled week as soon as I got back into work. EOS has been holding up fine.

1 Like

As a developer, I have been using EOS as my daily driver and work for quite some time and I find that EOS suits me because I rarely encounter any problems, or I can even say that there are no problems.

2 Likes

To be honest, I would not recommend using eos as you are already using arch and the updates are similar, it’s arch under the hood.
If you do want a change, install a different distribution as opposed to eos.

Well, from my experience. I’m using Linux daily for around 3 years, and have distro hopped for some time.

I’m using EOS for around 5 months, and can say I don´t want to come back. Amazing distro!

I’m also from IT, and run daily backups both to external drives (via rsync) and cloud (Mega.nz), without issues.

been using Linux as primary drive in business scenario for more than 20 years, and switched to EOS ‘recently’ (one year or so): so far I am nothing but impressed, it’s masterfully packaged and the community is friendly and welcoming (which probably is the main selling point). Join the purple side! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey welcome! I use it for work too, also in the technical field. I use KDE Plasma, and segregate my work using Activities. I have a scheduled backup to a NAS using Vorta, then another shell script that syncs key docs and any changes using rsync, to a secondary external drive. The NAS replicates to encrypted cloud storage, so that’s my three backups covered off.

In terms of work tools, very much Kate, Konsole, the usual ssh tools, and LibreOffice for the occasional formal document alongside spreadsheets. I’m not domain joined on my work Linux box, but I’ve yet to find a use case that isn’t covered off with cloud services (whether that’s AWS or Microsoft, the Cloud is Linux). The right tools for the right job, - use what works for you.