EndeavourOS fails to boot - Stuck at blinking cursor

It took you a long time… i thought it crashed!

Can you post

inxi -Ga

Fore some odd reason it couldn’t find one of my drives I have set to mount in fstab, but I know for sure the UUID’s are all correct… I checked and they were right, and rebooted again, all is well.

Maybe my outdated everything is just starting to give up! :roll_eyes:

Can you post the above command?

inxi -Ga

I want to check everything is correct.

Your wish is my command:

Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 495.44
           alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1c81 class-ID: 0300
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.21.1.1 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: loaded: nvidia resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.

1 Like

Looks good the drivers are installed and loaded properly. If you install mesa-demos and xorg-xdpyinfo it will show me more info.

Installed glxinfo too:

Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 495.44
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.21.1.1 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: loaded: nvidia resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 495.44 direct render: Yes

That’s better it shows that the card is actually the renderer for the graphics. Sometimes nvidia doesn’t install properly and the graphics will be rendered by mesa which is no good. This shows the latest driver is loaded and xorg is using nvidia and the renderer is the actual card.

How about now:

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.1 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: loaded: nvidia display-ID: :0 screens: 1
           Screen-1: 0 s-res: 3840x3240 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 1016x858mm (40.0x33.8") s-diag: 1330mm (52.4")
           Monitor-1: HDMI-0 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 61 size: 800x450mm (31.5x17.7") diag: 918mm (36.1")
           Monitor-2: DP-0 res: 3840x2160 hz: 30 dpi: 157 size: 621x341mm (24.4x13.4") diag: 708mm (27.9")
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 495.44 direct render: Yes```
1 Like

That’s all of it. That’s what i like to see. You shouldn’t have any issues.

Edit You even have two monitors and all is good!

I’m still leery though, as I had been running EndeavourOS for a long time when it just crapped out, out of nowhere, no rhyme or reason.

So if it does again, I would like to know what files/logs to check/copy if it happens again. So if it does I can chroot into my installation, copy the files to an MMC card and have them in a place I can view and share from if need be.

Honestly i don’t feel you should have any problem and if you do it’s Nvidia’s fault with their driver updates. I have the GTX 1060 6 GB and i have no issues.

If you have any issues you can totally uninstall the nvidia drivers and revert to the nouveau open source drivers with this command if it became necessary. Then you can always reinstall nvidia drivers again too.

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms -n

Well, something tells me it wasn’t graphics related. I think there was an update that ran mkinitcpio, afterword (I have grub-hook installed to update grub automatically), and it may have screwed it up somehow. After a fresh install and ~15hours of use I had more updates requiring a reboot, and when I rebooted it was hosed again.

I have updates waiting right now! :hot_face:

But you just should have run mkinitcpio -p with the enhancements. So there shouldn’t be any issue.
What grub hook are you referring to?

Edit: Do you have grub-hook installed from the AUR?

it’s a package to make pacman update grub automatically when the kernel or anything that needs it is installed.

I don’t use it.

Yes, from AUR.

I am not sure when (Years ago?) and how it ended up on my list of needed packages, and wondered why pacman wouldn’t already do it automatically. grub-hook was last modified 03/04/2020

I don’t have it installed? Not sure why it would be needed. Go ahead and update and reboot!