EndeavourOS apps info: where does it come from?

I guess in theory, as there are 4 columns of apps - you could start on the first column, and I’ll get another - then later we’ll consolidate what we have after passing the results past each other. Up for that? The idea is to have a markdown version of what the app shows us, in a similar ‘look’ to our Wiki entries (they may BE our wiki entries, depending on which app!). I’ll be tackling that, so if you have time, give it a shot…

That’s grate. This would be my first time doing something like this. I’ll make a MD detailing the first tool and send it to you. So what would be good software use to create the files.

Any text editor should do it - most of markdown is similar or the same as what’s used right here in the posting editor! Or, of course, your choice of dozens of markdown editors with or without GUI… I haven’t picked one myself yet! Well - it’s 09:00+ here now, time I got to bed from last night!

Just noticed that pandoc is able to convert between document formats.
For example, from markdown to html:

pandoc -f gfm README.md -o README.html

and the result is quite good. This is useful for the markdown documents at
Github (format gfm) which is the format we already have.

Html could be a nice format because the generated files are quite small. Thus they could be used both online and offline. And it supports pictures.

3 Likes

Yup - that might be a better way to go. What tool do you suggest for offline viewing? Or - just call the browser with a local file? (that would certainly make for a consistent look!).

A browser seems the best choice since it works well and user needs no extra tools. Just needs to make sure that the pages work for major browsers.

Note that pandoc has many options, and some (e.g. -s) may help in creating browser agnostic pages. So simple testing is needed.

1 Like

Can we not assume Firefox is usual? Sojmeone who would remove it from the normal packages probably won’t want to know about the eos-apps! Testing is all very well (and we will do some) but I think if we make it work with Firefox (and maybe Chromium) we should be covered pretty well…

1 Like

Yeah, firefox and chromium are reasonable browser choices, at least for now.
(Of course anyone can test other browsers and report any findings.)

Sure. It seems to me that most of the other browsers are in fact versions of those 2! Off to learn more about pandoc…

1 Like

Pandoc web pages have comprehensive documentation. Worth a look!

TKS - I’ll just fit it in around the Blue Jay game (the avatar is for a reason! :grin:)

1 Like

OK, reporting a problem. Just finished up a new install of EOS, using Brave/Tor as my browsers of choice. I stumbled on to the eos-apps-info app, and tried a few links. The first couple worked great - Nvidia took me to their drivers page, kernel to the updated kernel list…then almost every other button opened my Coinbase webapp! I went through about 20 different buttons, and only the ones I mentioned, plus virtualbox and grub, opened the right page.

Upon starting it for the first time, it asked to update the pacman database, so that shouldn’t be the issue. Since I don’t have Firefox installed, could that be the problem?

Does your brave open these links on your local system:
file:///etc/eos-apps-info/pageinfo/akm/akm.html
/etc/eos-apps-info/pageinfo/akm/akm.html

Thanks for the hint. What happened was that my $HOME/.local/share/applications/defaults.list file had become polluted with all of my webapp links; fixed by changing the text/html entry to brave-browser.desktop. These links were created in Linux Mint, but this system is a clean install - really weird.

Great that you got to the root of the problem!
I assume you have shared the $HOME directory with more than one distro, right?
That can sometimes cause weird issues…

No, that’s the weird thing - this is a clean install of EOS, all other distros are in VMware VMs. I did copy over a bunch of data from my old Linux Mint system, but I didn’t touch the defaults.list file.

OK. But now you have it fixed, right?

Yes, thanks again.

1 Like