Endeavour doesn't recognize it's own boot

It would have been informative if you could have provided us with all the steps you took for installing the bootloader in the fallback path.

It’s perhaps too late now as you seem to have given up.

All the steps i did:

1. Completely erased all data and partitions, and created a new ext4 that used all the space. All done using gparted.

2. Run the installer. Triple-checked that “Grub” option was selected.

3. Selected “Completely erase data and create new partitions”

4. After the installer finished, did sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt and sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/boot/efi (no errors this time)

5. Used the command grub-install --removable --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=EnOS-grub and no errors were found.

6. Used grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

7. Restarted and correctly booted into the school’s computer.

8. Went back home and no boot options found.

1 Like

It seems fine.

You would need to choose the disk in this scenario. Not a particular “EnOS-grub” option.
With the disk hooked up, when you bring up the one-time boot menu of your machine at home, aren’t you seeing an option with the name of this disk?

Also thank you for hanging in there and providing the info!

Edit: You did do sudo arch-chroot /mnt after the step 4, didn’t you?

Edit2: the fallback bootloader you would need for a removable device, should be in /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT:

$ ls /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
BOOTX64.EFI

If you still can boot up the system on your school computer, you could do the following from a running system as well:

sudo grub-install --removable --no-nvram

and check with ls /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT

Nope. There isn’t a sigle option from that disc in the boot override.

Yessir.

Unfortunately I’ve already moved on, but what I could do is repeat every step while using a usb stick and troubleshoot that one when I have the time.

1 Like