EndeavorOS Installation Fails with "Failed To Run Pacstrap"

Initially I was getting an error stating Pacman failed to run. I could run it manually, and did a system upgrade in attempt to fix issue.

During this same installation session with the pacstrap failing to run, the installer indicated pacman failed to run, same as all other installation attempts.

I have tried upgrading the system, refreshing repos, and installing latest archlinux keys, but the installation never succeeds.

I have tried the installation on two different desktops, one an Intel-based, the other an AMD-based computer. I am attempting to install to a single nvme M2 SSD drive, the only drive in the system.

I created an install log, and the system says it is posted to https://termbin.com/ry3q

HW is AMD Ryzen 9 7900x CPU, AMD RX-580 GPU, Asus X670-P MB, 32GB G-skill Flare X5 memory, WD 1TB SN770 M2 NVME SSD.

I’ve been running Linux as my primary desktop OS for a while now, over 15 years. I’ve tried many distros over those years, but mostly have been using Manjaro lately.

Any help would be appreciated.

“pacstrap: error: target not found: grub2-theme-endeavouros”
“pacstrap: ==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root”

If I am not mistaken this package was removed from EnOS’ repo a while back.

Are you using an older ISO? If so, try the latest one.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

As @pebcak said, the latest ISO is needed, which currently is Cassini.
See https://endeavouros.com/latest-release

1 Like

Thank you for the response. I found an ISO sufficiently new to get the OS installed & running. It’s a sleek, lean distro, and I’ve been able to overcome some deficiencies, but I’m struggling to find a compelling advantage over other distros, like Manjaro, which was my prior OS.

Currently I’m struggling with three characteristics of Endeavor that Manjaro handles with ease right “out of the box.”

1. Kernel upgrades. Manjaro offers an easy-to-use GUI kernel management utility. I’m familiar with compiling my own custom kernels, but am just too busy these days to spend the time to assess all the many kernel configuration characteristics, configure & then compile my own custom kernels.
  2. Video thumbnailing doesn’t seem to work in Endeavor (I’m using KDE with native Dolphin file manager).
  3. Right-clicking on a file not associated with an application brings up a dialog box providing me a choice of applications the desktop knows about, items universally found in the application launch GUI, but I have no ability to associate an application, like a console CLI application. Just as often as not I don’t want to use a GUI application, and so I configure a console application to run in a window when I click on a file with the associated suffix.
    These are the three items I have yet to figure out, and I don’t know how many others I’ll stumble into in the future.
    Manjaro just feels like more attention has gone into it, even though KDE isn’t their flagship desktop, just like it isn’t in Endeavor.
  4. Right-clicking in the task-bar on a minimized application where there are multiple instances of that application doesn’t bring up a cascaded visual of the available minimized instances. I tend to run many copies simultaneously of certain applications (e.g. Dolphin, Kfind, Firefox, Kate) and finding the windowed instance I need under Endeavor is tedious and inefficient, and the display of available instances isn’t in a nice, graphical, cascaded list.
    I tend to manipulate large data sets rapidly and need a desktop that can keep up.

Thank you again for the support, and if you have any suggestion on the issues I’ve listed here, please let me know.

Cheers

At least to this point I hope I can give some inputs. From what I remember, correct me if it changed since I used Manjaro last time, Manjaro is using a kernel management which requires the user to decide which kernel version he wants to use. As in, you have to decide the mainline version of the kernel you want to use. It for sure has it’s benefits when it comes to support in specific or older hardware. But it also brings the problem that unexperienced users don’t realize that their kernel has reached EOL and is no longer updated which can then result in breaking of some software which is updated and the new version requires the newer kernel version.
Arch, and EndeavourOS is contrary to Manjaro using the “pure” Arch repos (plus their own one), is giving the user the choice between the stable, the lts and the zen kernels (and some inofficial versions from AUR): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Kernels&oldid=407966#Official_packages

Whatever “branch” of kernel you use will be up-to-date. I guess it’s a matter of taste and sometimes of necessities whether you prefer the Arch or the Manjaro kernel management.

Last time I used KDE was in openSUSE Tumbleweed and heavily customized by openSUSE, but from what I remeber there was the option to edit the starters from the menu and activate some checkbox “run in terminal” or something like this. I don’t know if that was natively KDE or customization.

Can’t comment on the rest as I don’t use KDE anymore :wink:

Try removing ffmpegthumbnailer, and then installing ffmpegthumbs & kdegraphics-thumbnailers (and rebooting).

Kernel management: EnOS has AKM for that.

Video thumbnailing in Dolphin is not a matter of EnOS, but a KDE thing. Check out Dolphin and it’s potential plugins, perhaps introduce yourself to the Arch-Wiki.

Right-clicking and other such minors… EnOS names it self as a terminal-centric distro.

So there seem to be things to learn about Arch the Arch way, before complaining EnOS doesn’t deliver what Manjaro does.

Am I right, or am I right? :smile:

kernel upgrades will happen automatically as part of your normal updates. You don’t need to compile or build anything. You don’t even need a gui. There is nothing to do.

right-click on the task manager and then select configure task manager. The options for that are in the menu.

It is a difference in philosophy. Manjaro is configuring the system for you, EndeavourOS is giving you a basic setup for you to configure yourself.

3 Likes

Kernel upgrades are done e.g. with this terminal command

yay

There are alternatives too, but I think this is rather easy.

In addition, this command shows various details (which are sometimes quite important) in the upgrade process which are not shown in GUI apps.

1 Like

The whole point of EndeavourOS is not to be a fully polished one size fits all (it never does) everything installed out of the box system like Manjaro and so many others! And it’s explained well here on the site, and hard to miss, even all of the reviewers are clear about that. With Endeavour you are the one who gets to make Arch your own and Endeavour just makes the Arch part less difficult, the rest is up to you, and if you don’t have time for it, that’s exactly what Manjaro and other prefab distro’s are for.

KDE Plasma on Endeavour is the same KDE Plasma as on Manjaro, but they make changes and add stuff, non the less I have been using Endeavour from it’s very first release with KDE, and I never had the Dolphin right click alternative apps to launch entries go missing, and you can actually add/remove apps, and even change their order in that popup menu list with ease, and having them comes with Dolphin out of the box, no setting nor extra anything needed, so if you don’t have them, it’s not a Manjaro or EOS thing, but a KDE thing, and you can file a bug report with them.

I have 3 kernals to choose from at boot, regular, and LTS (a choice in the installer) as a fallback, and Zen for live music recording, which I installed via the Pamac GUI! It can’t get any easier than that.

Anyone who compiles kernels n’ all that, who has been using Linux for more than a decade, should be well familiar with this: RTFM!

1 Like