Electron apps broken

After a recent update my Electron (Signal & Riot) apps won’t work any longer:

electron: error while loading shared libraries: libre2.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Turned out that a sym link went missing. Use the below to fix it in case you are in the same situation:

sudo ln /usr/lib/libre2.so /usr/lib/libre2.so.6

Before you manually update the link make sure to check other alternatives for failures first:

  1. Do you run the latest version of the application?
  2. Reinstall
3 Likes

Not needed by me (yet) - but appreciated anyway. Helpful bunch here at EndeavourOS…

Freebird54

Setting up a symlink seems to be the better way to break an installation.

The cleanest way is to grab PKGBUILD and to rebuild each package.

As of March 12th, 2020.

  1. last electron version: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/electron/ (march 10th)
  2. last signal-desktop: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/signal-desktop/ (march 7th)
  3. last riot version: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/riot-desktop/ (march 4th)
1 Like

Well, I did install the apps (via yay) and the supporting electron packet multiple times, which I believe qualifies a building from PKGBUILD?

No. Your mirror seems to be outdated / broken. Both Signal-desktop and Riot-desktop started flawlessly.

Last versions: signal-desktop 1.32.1-1, electron 8.1.1-1 and riot-desktop 1.5.12-1

Just check.

I think I got the latest:

yay -S electron
warning: electron-8.1.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
....
$ yay -S riot-desktop
warning: riot-desktop-1.5.12-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
...
$ yay -S signal-desktop
warning: signal-desktop-1.32.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

What happened was that sometime last week I received an upgrade to one of the three, can’t remember exactly but believe electron, after which Signal and Riot didn’t work any longer with the error above.

At that time I didn’t bother and was hoping that another update will fix it, which it did. Monday or Tuesday I received an update of Electron and things were back to normal. And yesterday another one came in which broke things again which made me look into things.
Yay gave me the versions I am showing above yesterday which didn’t fix the issue. This morning I eventually found the hint to try the link and I am back in business.

By the way, I don’t think I am dealing wit updates not applied properly because I do reboot at least once a day because I am moving this machine from dock to undocked which doesn’t go well with intel-virtual-output unless I reboot.

Edit:
Updated my original post to reflect your (valid!) comments