Dual Booting with Windows 11

I have two 64-bit Intel systems, one a laptop and one a desktop, both relatively new and running UEFI. They are both running Windows 11, and I am looking to dual boot Endeavor OS on both. While I have computer expertise, I am looking for a reasonably straightforward way to accomplish this. My desktop system has one fast SSD drive, on which I have arranged to have separate partitions for each OS. The laptop only has one SSD drive, where I’ve planned to do the same.

My understanding is that I can use the shared UEFI partition for boot code from both OSes. My primary concern is how to deal with Secure Boot, which Windows 11 requires to be active.

Earlier posts, dealing with Windows 10 dual booting, have recommended either turning Secure Boot off, or using a procedure described on the Arch forum for creating one’s own boot-code keys, using shim software. Neither of these alternatives are particularly appealing in my situation.

Can the normal EOS installation handle this type of dual-boot now? Or is Windows 11 still problematic? Please offer suggestions. Thanks.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_boot_with_Windows

You’re kind of stuck if you don’t want to do either of the two things that will make dual boot work. :person_shrugging:

Errm, no. Win11 will boot and run fine without secure boot. Disable secure boot and install EnOS as normal. If win cries before an update, simply enable secure (!) boot, let it do its thing and disable it again.

Windows 11 does not require secure boot to be enabled. You only need TPM on Windows 11. I have many computers running Windows 11 dual boot with EndeavourOS or other and secure boot is disabled. Yes you can use the Windows efi partition when installing.

@mrvictory
You don’t need to enable secure boot in order to update Windows 11. I have been doing it since it came out and secure boot is disabled on all of my systems.

1 Like

Hopefully it stays this way but the first major update for windows11 hasn’t come yet (AFAIK, I might be wrong) so we still don’t know if it will ever check for compatibility before a major update.
It is a ticking time bomb after all.

Well see because it is out at the end or middle of May. But i don’t believe that to be the case otherwise i wouldn’t have been able to install Windows 11 without secure boot enabled which it was not.

Thank you all for the prompt replies. I’ll look into disabling Secure Boot.

This. I’m running Win11 Pro, EnOS and Pop!_OS just fine, in a triple-boot setup.

Switched on secure boot to install Win11, then off again after the install. Win11 works fine without it enabled.

1 Like

I figured it’s good to share also my experience:
I have no secure boot and windows 11 run just fine, updates included.

The only slightly tricky thing is that I had to disable windows encryption before installing linux.
After the installation, I reactivate windows encryption (save the keys on drive to be sure) and everything worked fine.

1 Like

Pick one of these two, you can’t have both… You’ll always have some tiny problems.

The best option is to just ditch windoze, you don’t need that malware on your computer.

1 Like