Dropping by to say hello!

Short story time! I wiped my Windows 10 and installed EndeavourOS on my Thinkpad t480s a few days ago. Since then I’ve been configuring my install to the best of my abilities, and I think I finally have a nice, well-performing and not-so-power-hungry system!

I’ve been using Windows for a very long time and only have had a brief encounter with 2 Linux distros: Ubuntu, maybe 7-8 years ago, and CentOS, don’t remember when. I gave up using Ubuntu after 3 days because I simply wasn’t ready yet - CentOS was installed on someone’s work device at home and I sometimes used it, but that’s about it. I’m actually not so sure if it was CentOS anymore - could have been some other enterprise Linux. Basically, I’m a complete Linux newbie.

Windows 10 was (is) a very nice OS, it has always served me reliably across multiple computers. But soon after trying Windows 11 (which I tried very hard to like, but alas), I thought it was time for me to use something new. Cue months of research that led to me discovering EndeavourOS, numerous installs on my aged Thinkpad x220, more research for reassurance, and here I am!

Funny how during my several weeks-months of distro-hopping journey, deep down I already knew I would choose EndeavourOS in the end! Of course there were some other strong candidates, but I decided that after going through 8+ Artemis Nova test installs with several days of use each (a lot, yes, but I needed the reassurance!)… this is it, this is home - hopefully.

Not gonna lie, I did face some issues - some I could solve, some others I am still trying to figure out, but it can wait (I believe)! I’m happy with how nicely my laptop performs on the LTS kernel (still a bit too paranoid here if you can’t tell already) - 50% battery gives me 5-6 hours of screen time with audio playback post-tlp+throttled configs! Probably nothing special for others, but for me, it definitely is. I haven’t tested out screen-sharing through Chromium browsers and IMs like Discord and Slack though, which I do regularly need for work… crossing fingers it will work out! If not, well, I think I know where to turn to.

This has gone way too long lol. But thanks for reading my little story - I like this OS already, and I sincerely hope I can stay around for a long time! I’ll probably show up asking for help one of these days in the future haha.

Cheers from slightly south of the equatorial line, wishing everyone a pleasant year-end & early Happy New Year!

Mel

P.S. My pfetch output!

XXuHKs6

9 Likes

Hello!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum and the purple side!
ComplicatedWildKitten-small

3 Likes

Welcome to the purple space!!
:enos_flag: :rocketa_purple: :purple_square:

2 Likes

Hi! :frog:

1 Like

Welcome onboard! Enjoy yourself in this great community! You were clever enough to customize EndeavorOS in a couple of days. Your example also proves that EOS is functional even on relatively old machines.

1 Like

Hello!

1 Like

Welcome to the EndeavourOS forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @mellemur :enos_flag: :enos:

1 Like

Welcome @mellemur ! :enos_flag: :enos:

1 Like

Welcome! EOS was the first distro in a while that got me excited about Linux and terminal again.

Your colleague may have used Open Suse, if not Red Hat/Cent OS.

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome! :smiley:

Thanks for the compliment! I tried my best to make sure my system doesn’t run too hot or power-consuming, and thankfully the utilities I use (throttled, tlp and zcfan) are very easy to configure. And yes, the OS works very well! I figured out Linux would work better & stabler on slightly older devices (more than 3 years at least) because the open source community would already have worked on it, whereas newer machines would potentially face more issues due to them being… new.

I now 100% believe it was CentOS, either ver. 5 or 6! (Not my colleagues but my parents haha)

2 Likes

Well, yes, the open source community has always had a lot of power. I don’t usually buy too new hardware (computer, laptop, phone, etc.) in the first place, because they may have untested errors, but I wait until enough reviews and ratings appear about them.

Howdy,

Same story after Win2000 :wink:

Welcome to a fellow t480s owner!

Cheers!