Download speed

Hello , I’m new to arch. Endeavouros is very fantastic .I can use with no difficultly but only one.That is when I download a package or update my system , near the ending of progress the download rate is 20kbs or around. Arch or eos mirror problem? I’m from Myanmar,Asia.There’s no good mirror for Myanmar or something like that? Please help me with this

Hello,
did you try the automated mirror-ranking from the welcome screen?

1 Like

Here’s an introduction to mirror ranking:
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/pacman/mirrors-intro/2021/03/

As the vast majority of the packages come from the Arch mirrors, the speed problems are typically related to those mirrors. So ranking the Arch mirrors is usually the solution.
For that you have these apps directly available:

• rate-mirrors
  • reflector
  • reflector-simple (=GUI wrapper for reflector)

I assume rate-mirrors is a great choice for your location. But of course, experimenting with any and/or all of them may provide the best result.

If the native EndeavourOS mirrors seem slow, they can be ranked with

• eos-rankmirrors
  • rate-mirrors

Note that you can also manually test some mirrors by downloading the same package from a few mirrors.
Then

• measure the elapsed time (faster = better)
  • check the package version (newer = better)

This may help because ranking apps sometimes do not provide optimal results.
Also, sometimes mirrors can be temporarily offline which can change the ranking outcome.

Note that many (but not all) mirrors from Germany and United States are good for worldwide use.

2 Likes

I didn’t, I’ll try .Thanks lots.

Hi, the responsible for the EOS mirrors here, did that fix your problem?

ah not yet,coz I’m not with my laptop right now.I like this community so much now.Very resopnsive.

The easiest way to get a good mirrorlist is to use rate-mirrors.

Run in the terminal:

rate-mirrors arch | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

and then update with -Syyu:

sudo pacman -Syyu

(normally, you should only use -Syu when updating, but when you change your mirrorlist you want to force the refresh of all package databases, because not all mirrors are updated at the same time and your local package database may seem up to date but not actually be – therefore, two y’s).

You should do this every time you notice your package download speed getting slow. Depending on where you live, usually it’s enough to do it once or twice a year.

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

I saw a post by @pebcak (can’t remember the url) where he does everything @kresimir wrote in his post but also:

rate-mirrors endeavouros | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist

Is the above not necessary?

It can’t hurt, but I don’t think it is necessary, since endeavouros repo is rather small and packages there are rarely updated. So you won’t notice any actual improvement by optimising your mirrorlist for it. You are unlikely to save even a second or two per update…

However, if you’re getting mirror errors for the endeavouros repo, that’s an easy way to fix them. Personally, that’s the only situation when I do it.

OK, thanks for clearing that up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I created an alias for it that I’ll run occasionally. Thinking about making it a cronjob then not ever have to worry about it again :smiley:
alias update-mirrors=“rate-mirrors arch | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && rate-mirrors endeavouros | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist”

1 Like

Looks like you got a typo there:

/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist >> /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist

Ah, so I do. Thanks for the catch!
alias update-mirrors="rate-mirrors arch | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && rate-mirrors endeavouros | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist"

1 Like

@reoz Welcome to EndeavourOS.

Sadly download speed could depend on the Internet Service Provider. The crooks that I signed with did well IMHO in the first six months, until October last year and then the random slowdowns started happening. And as early as fake lovers’ holiday this year, the random DNS blocking as well, don’t know when it could happen. One afternoon I was trying to update Kubuntu and one of the EndeavourOS installations but was forced to wait until evening, because of it. But they must steadily increase what they charge for it. Not very much but noticeable and cannot afford it much longer.

In other words, it’s not controllable even if I were to give those service-handling crooks more money for faster service.

1 Like

I thought I’d share my aliases, regarding rate-mirrors, when I read this topic. This is how I have it setup in my ~/.bash_aliases file, since a while back.

# Update mirrors: Arch.
alias update-mirrors="sudo mv /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.bak && rate-mirrors arch --max-delay 43200 | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist"

# Update mirrors: EndeavourOS.
## eos-rankmirrors (official tool EndeavourOS), but with parameter changes.
alias eos-mirrors="eos-rankmirrors --sort rate --timeout 15"
## rate-mirrors.
alias update-mirrors-eos="eos=/etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist && dt=`date +"%Y.%m.%d-%H.%M.%S"` && sudo mv $eos $eos.$dt && rate-mirrors endeavouros | sudo tee $eos"

# Update all mirrors and packages. (Arch mirrors -> EOS mirrors -> pacman and aur)
alias update-all="update-mirrors && update-mirrors-eos && paru -Syyu"

Perhaps a bit excessive, or “overkill”. Took my a while to get it right, since was --well still am-- relatively new to Linux and bash. :see_no_evil:

Yeah, it’s excessive to the extreme, since you should always update after changing your mirrorlist, lest you forget about it. So you only need one of them.

Having aliases you don’t use just clutters your tab autocompletion.

Also, the name update-all is misleading, since it does not update everything.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.