Dolphin & Udisksd slow after 5.10 kernel upgrade

After upgrading the kernel to 5.10.3 I notice that dolphin takes a long time to open folders, TOP also shows a higher load from dolphin and udisksd now.
Automount is deactivated and there are 2 SMB shares in the network (once w/ ext4 & once w/ ntfs) the SMB password is stored in KDE settings and everything worked well without delays so far with linux-5.9.
Before the kernel update I did not notice any udisksd processes in top when starting dolphin …

Operating System: EndeavourOS
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.77.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.3-zen1-1-zen
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2

I use Plasma, and Dolphin, if anything seems more responsive. I’m running on Intel with integrated graphics. I notice there’s a lot of internet “traffic” about issues with 5.10 when using Nvidia graphics. Perhaps the issue lies there?

1 Like

udisksd comes up with dolphin now and both show high cpu usage, I guess it could be an issue w/ SMB shares which are linked to fav places in dolphin, after dolphin has started the SMB shares open fast as before …

Yeah that sounds quite likely. I can’t see any problems with dolphin itself. The only external things I have mounted at present are 2 hard drives via /run and I use automount for them. They are fine. When I fileshare on my network I use Nitroshare but I haven’t tested that yet.

1 Like

yep, it only affects dolphin other applications still start quickly

I was able to solve the problem, very strange I still use truecrypt because veracrypt and co everything is too slow …
After the kernel upgrade I saw the following message when mounting my truecrypt folder:
“Failed to set up a loop device”

I appreciate that the loop error caused this udisks load and which impact a negative performance on dolphin


Failed to set up a loop device

1 Like

I’m not finding that on Dolphin and my system with Nvidia seems fine also but it is on Xfce.

Edit: Not using truecrypt though.

1 Like

maybe there is now a default limit for loop devices in linux-5.10

If you followed the entire wiki article including a reboot, and you still have the same issue I guess something must have changed in the kernel. I get the feeling that if you go digging though most folk will just advise not using Truecrypt anymore… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I tried VeraCrypt, in my case it took almost 1 minute until a container was decrypted.
I guess same issue could occur with VeraCrypt too …
I would like to use alternative apps which quickly opens an encrypted folder with password protection, but I haven’t found anything yet.

the loop device issue:

I switched to veracrypt and it works a little faster than 2 years ago, a bit slower but that’s ok. Truecrypt has been completely removed :wink: