Does Endeavour OS offer anything special than an easy Arch installer?

Neither will anyone suggest you to kindly f**k off here, not even Orca since she always gets deleted. :poop:

4 Likes

We all agree to disagree except that EndeavourOS rocks! :grin:

Edit: That we all agree on!

2 Likes

I somewhat agree. One can remove unwanted programs after installation. Its the ‘missing’ programs that a newbie has little knowledge how or what to install. Example. Any Ubuntu product installed, then plug in my printer. 7seconds later its recognized and ready to print. Will EOS do the same. No. Then what program to install? I went through all that hullabaloo in the past.
Yes, for the experienced Linus user, EOS it top rate, but the OP admitted being a newbie.
There’s a lot of ‘missing’ programs on a standard EOS install.
edit: PS, I won’t be back for another month. So you will be “preaching to the choir” in your response.

1 Like

I am a supporter of EndeavourOS being a little less minimal than it is, in order to help those that are experienced Linux users yet who are new to Arch based distros acclimate to the Arch environment. Endeavour isn’t for true Linux noobs, but it does attract a lot of people looking for their first Arch experience. Like you say, it is easier for an experienced user to delete unwanted programs and dependencies than it is for a noob to find something he doesn’t even know exists. A noob “doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.” But the community has provided some noob help through the use of the welcome app and this helpful forum, so it works ok for noobs as is; but the distro isn’t optimized for noobs. There are alternatives in the Arch ecosystem for real noobs, such as RebornOS.

1 Like

After so many years using Linux, even once or twice installing Arch, the Arch way, I believe, it is not Arch experience here at Endeavour OS, it is the Endeavour experience. And, the community of good souls. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Easy way to install an Arch system with Arch repos with minimal bloat, just a vanilla DE / WM and a few apps. You then build and configure the system that suits you.

Basically the opposite to distros like Manjaro and Garuda, which force their technical preferences upon users with large bloated installs. Some like this, some don’t, depends on your system preferences and needs.

There are a few EndOS QoL tools installed, but they are not intrusive and you can remove them easily if you want a purer Arch experience.

If you liked the extra Manjaro LTS kernels, they are also available in EndOS / Arch through an unoffical kernel-lts repo, where @jonathan builds the non repo LTS kernel AUR PKGBUILDs and makes the binary packages available.

4 Likes

what he said !! :innocent:

:pray: @otherbarry you say what right + clear :+1:

1 Like