Does Endeavour OS offer anything special than an easy Arch installer?

I’m a newbie who’s looking to get out of the Manjaro ecosystem. I feels it’s so bloated and has a lot of unnecessary things preinstalled, that’s what made me trying to move to Arch linux or Endeavour OS, I have a simple question: What makes Endeavour OS special ?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :partying_face: :enos_flag:

EnOS is pretty minimal. There is pretty much zero bloat.

The best thing I like is the lovely community we have. Helpful and friendly people. You won’t see people saying RTFM here.

I’m sure you’ll have a great stay here! :hugs:

11 Likes
  • The community - We have an open and welcoming community that we hope is a great place to hangout no matter your experience level
  • The installer - It keeps growing and getting more flexible
  • Utilities - There is a growing library of tools which are built in order to make it easier to setup and manage your system

That being said, technically speaking, it is very close to upstream Arch which is one of the the goals.

15 Likes

I also used manjaro in the past. What I like about EOS: it is clan and lean terminal centric distro, the community is awesome and the help you get here is unmatched in any forum I participated (you feel welcome and replies within few hours), they also have a light but awesome theming for different desktops, and as you said minimal install and no bloat meaning it is much easier for me to check what is going on if something goes wrong. It is close to Arch.

edit: welcome to the community! :grin:

4 Likes

How many packages would a new KDE install take ?

It depends what you select in the installer.

It is an online installer with options selected by you. It isn’t a fixed install.

If you want to, you can even install without a DE and then install it manually to your specifications.

For reference, I did a fairly heavy plasma install recently and it has 896 packages. You could make it a lot less if you chose less options.

1 Like

Mine was 988.

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Welcome to the fun forum @1.7xr :tada::balloon:

2 Likes

It’s pretty much vanilla Arch, with an easy installer and fairly minimal, sane defaults, a couple of nice scripts to make your life easier, and some custom theming, mostly purple.

The best part about it is, beyond doubt, this forum. We’re having a lot of fun here.

So think of EndeavourOS not as a separate operating system, but as a bunch of nerds who enjoy using Arch in our own specific way. And we also enjoy talking about it. It’s the voyage that matters, not the destination.

7 Likes

If you are looking for a heavily preconfigured, riced, very opinionated Arch-based distro with a focus on maximum performance and gaming, look no further than Garuda Linux. I can wholeheartedly recommend it if you’re looking for something like Manjaro, only better. The best thing about Garuda is its optimisation settings, which are very well tuned. But that’s also it’s biggest flaw, because it’s so opinionated and does a lot of things for you, things which you might enjoy tuning according to your own tastes.

EndeavourOS is not that. The best thing about EndeavourOS (and it’s biggest flaw, depending on your perspective) is how minimal and close to Arch it is. While it is noob friendly, it requires a tinkerer’s mindset, a person who enjoys learning about his operating system and configuring it according to his preferences. It’s not something I’d install on Grandma’s computer (that is what Mint is for :rofl:).

5 Likes

Welcome @1.7xr
As @dalto has said exactly. Easy install, close to Arch, fantastic friendly community, some tools and utilities to make things easy. A place where you land, hang out, and Endeavour! :rocketa_purple:

4 Likes

Turkeys. Gobble Gobble

2 Likes

I think it’s a mistake to worry at all about this oft-quoted ‘bloat’. These days our computers have masses of storage and plenty of RAM, so I think ‘bloat’ has become a word thrown around to give some sort of impression. Unless you are using an old computer, or doing heavy video processing, our linux installations don’t suffer a lot from over-large programs. BTW, Garuda (quoted on this page) is a very attractive linux distro but it installs a heck of a lot of programs.

2 Likes

I actually disagree with this for a few reasons:

• If you have metered bandwidth you will be updating lots of extra packages and consuming a lot of bandwidth for no real purpose
  • Many current budget laptops use small eMMC devices where storage is limited
  • Long-term maintainability of your system is much easier if you aren’t carrying tons of extra packages
11 Likes

I did like being able to select exactly what was installed though, very Mandrake-like and appreciated.

1 Like

Hey! Good to have you with us :slight_smile:

You can install Arch, and beyond a few additional packages, it’s essentially EOS, or if you look at it the other way, EOS is essentially Arch. I installed Arch a few times, and it’s not a huge pain in and of itself, but EOS just makes things simpler.

Yes I learned a lot along the way, so don’t be afraid to go through the base Arch install a few times, even in a VM, but EOS just smoothens out some of the rough edges of a manual install, which I found to be a little tiresome after the fourth or fifth time. Yes you can automate a lot of it with scripts, but you get to a point where you just want a working system you can get going with.

What makes it special? You. You and the potential that you have to become part of a community that hasn’t gone in the direction of trying to make Arch some elitist clique that wants to silo everything away from the everyday user. We’re nothing special, and in time, we hope the true meaning of that is understood. Explore, learn, give back, find your niche!

There’s a couple of pre-packages that I personally get rid of (eos-notifier for instance), but I will attest, I have installed more than a handful of EOS setups, and they are very close to Arch. I want to say my last KDE install had me in the realm of 900 packages. For reference, I’m currently on Arch KDE with everything as I want it. . .and I’m pushing 1225 packages.

1 Like

One of the more astute members made a comment that applies in this post
https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/distrohopping-cure/12548/4

Pudge

3 Likes

I’ve got to admit, I like Garuda.

If you are looking for a heavily preconfigured, riced, very opinionated Arch-based distro with a focus on maximum performance and gaming, look no further than Garuda Linux. I can wholeheartedly recommend it if you’re looking for something like Manjaro, only better. The best thing about Garuda is its optimisation settings, which are very well tuned. But that’s also it’s biggest flaw, because it’s so opinionated and does a lot of things for you, things which you might enjoy tuning according to your own tastes.

personally i :heart: the colours :rofl: :innocent:… + what other distro have talking frog and turkey ? 55555555 :pray: i no help myself :blush:

3 Likes