Does anyone use ROS (Robotics Operating System)?

That is a fair point and you are right about it. But what I don’t understand is that if older versions of an operating system were written in C or C++, then how come it is still becoming more and more heavier on RAM usage as newer versions are being released? Are they using even higher langages compared to C/C++?

I hope the same goes with Rust?

Oh wow nice I guess there is really no point in using assembly then?

Lol its all good even I am going off topic.

Yes that is true that is why most of the times it is not taught. I do wish i could learn it one day and just have an understanding of CPUs even more. I thought compilers are now written in C or something?

So is Gentoo-based faster than Arch-based distros?

So you are saying that when you did assembly programming on Windows it somehow made it much larger?

Sorry bro I didn’t quite get that.

Yeah that is true. The same goes for Lua as well, like why does Lua have to change how the syntax works and everything and make it confusing for people who are using C-like syntax. And I have the same complaint with Rust as well. While it is similar in a lot of ways in terms of syntax, why did they have to change how the for loop is formatted, its much more confusing than C’s way.

I have no idea what they are I have never even heard of it lol.

:+1:

what operating systems are you referring to? As far as I know lunix kernel is written mainly in C and many DE’s are written in C/C++. OS is a complicated thing consisting of many layers and I am not the right person to ask how it works, that’s for sure :sweat_smile: But I do think that apps are way hungrier resources-wise nowadays, because current hardware can afford it I guess.

I think it should.

If you were going to use it just to achieve better performace in my opinion it isn’t worth it, unless you are working with drivers or embedded systems. There are other specific usages of it, searching for exploits and reverse engineering, for example. So, there’s a point, but you need to know what you are going to use it for.

Normally compilers are written in the language they are meant for (except for the first version, obviously). Rustc is written in rust :grin:

1 Like

Both Windows and GNU/Linux.

Yes it can afford it but I don’t see why people made it so much system resource intense, why not properly optimise it (not suggesting to use Assembly)?

:+1:

I see.

But then how can RustC be written in Rust and be compiled in the first place?

That’s why I said ‘except for the first version(s)’
According to wikipedia the earlier versions were using compiler written in OCaml.

1 Like

Since ros-kinetic-robot did install but doesn’t have the same packages that I was using back in uni in their Ubuntu setup. I need to install ros-kinetic-desktop-full as instructed by the professor.

I have pip installed so then i installed pydot as sudo pip install pydot but that only seems to have installed pydot, not python2-pydot This is what I am really after, any ideas?

Do your own homework :hugs:

3 Likes

I am just having a package issue that is all.

:hugs:

1 Like

I really don’t know what it is you are up to here. It seems like you’re into anything and everything? How is this going to work if your system lags on Chromium? :wink: It looks to me like python-pydot is dependency? But I’m really not sure?

I see python3-pydot in the list on page 6 of this link. Click on system dependencies!

Edit: I hope it is an EndeavourOS Robotic Penguin :grinning:

1 Like

Oh that other post I actually solved it and I actually mentioned the solution.

Thanks man.

lol

I’ve got to learn how the quoting works here… anyway:

I would expect it to be faster, but I also would expect the difference to be imperceptible to the non-dedicated. There is no doubt it is optimized, but you need the proper ‘viewpoint’ to see it as worth the extra effort.

I did little assembly programming on Windows (OK - none really) because of the ‘endian’ issues and memory access in general. However, Windows itself caused massive bloat with its architecture. To make a normal window in Windows, you needed a separate window structure for the window itself, each item in it (min button, max button, exit button, resize handle etc etc) which was only example of how and why things grew.

Not something that can be easily appreciated, but here goes a strained analogy "grin:
Let us start with a 400 sq ft log cabin, with absolutely no amenities. One room, no windows! OK - then hard drives start becoming useful, so extensions were needed to handle such things as directories. One suspects the backslash as a separator was to make it less obvious that the concepts and commands were lifted from Multics (Unix preceder).

Then Xerox’s work with WIMP interfaces (Windows. Icons, Mouse Pointer) started becoming relevant (and being picked up by Apple Lisa) so Windows were needed. Rather than try to rip holes in the wall through the extensions, another floor was added on top, much larger to enjoy the view. By the time they got to Windows 3.0. memory requirements had swelled enormously to handle all the graphics - so they added another, bigger floor on top to handle that. Thus the upside-down pyramid! The BSOD weren’t really caused by bad programmers - just by the original definition of ‘unstable code’. :crazy_face:

Quick form, BACON is a very efficient form as Basic that includes the capability of passing the processed source to the GNU C Compiler for disposition. If you go to a site where they compare languages when implementing common algorithms and tasks, BACON looks very good.
GAMBAS is a ‘re-imagining’ of VisualBasic 6, and shares it’s modular, building out from GUI elements and events style of programming. Very useful for smaller custom projects for companies…

When you have time :smirk: you can look these up further if you want - I’ve typed enough for now!

Freebird54

1 Like

If somebody were to get a gentoo-based distro that has everything a user needs to start off with then I guess it would be worth it.

I guess doing programming on a Unix-based/like system is easier to do then.

That is actually a pretty good explaination :slight_smile:

Is it like Lua, it kinda sounds like it afaik?

Wouldn’t VB 6 been able to do the same thing?

Sure I will, thanks :slight_smile:

Not too much like lua, AFAIK. For one thing, you would describe it as a programming language, rather than a script language like lua. More strongly typed, requires a little more planning for arrays and the like, and doesn’t have the backwards, rotated view of graphics that Cairo is noted for! It makes a lot of sense though, for people who have both Basic and C backgrounds :grin:

(as GAMBAS)
It probably would have been able to, had it not been co-opted/pre-empted by moving VB to the .net framework. Essentially it was made to work with the same libraries as C# and other dialects, and the 3rd party libraries and extensions were sacrificed in the process. It went on for years, however in the corporate world as a front end for database access, and rapid prototyping until the changing Windows versions pulled it down. To give you an idea of what it got used for - I did a few front ends for SQL databases to track lottery tickets/buyers - handling address checking, credit card checking, and bad input prevention by teams of data entry personnel. Very good at that sort of thing, as well as being easy to fit a ‘commercial’ WIndows app look on it.

Not to mention, GAMBAS runs on Linux! A not inconsiderable advantage…

Freebird54

1 Like

Okay, I just have to say. This quoting is fine for referencing something specific in a post but to use quoting on every every other sentence is extremely annoying for me so i wouldn’t read any of it. It also makes the threads way too long. That’s just my opinion and i just don’t feel that’s the purpose of it. No offense but it’s not my thing.

1 Like

I suspect a couple of things are at work here. First off - this quoting ability is kinda neat, and eases a problem found in other software for forums. What happens when you get a new ‘toy’? You play with it! :grinning:

I think that reading a whole thread at once exacerbates the annoyance factor - if the time between has been longer the attachment of the ‘threads of the thread’ will be more welcome. Again, I say, I think.

I would guess that perhaps it is the larger blocks of text that do not to be included within the answering message, but I hope that a sentence clarifying which point is being addressed is not too big an obstacle to overcome? It would work best if the original post contains a line that makes it clear what aspect is being referenced - the question being answered - or the source of the ‘inspiration’ of the reply. Perhaps it needs discussion, and then a guideline in the forum help?

Just my 2 cents (cdn) on the matter…

Freebird54

1 Like