Does anyone use ROS (Robotics Operating System)?

So I need to have ROS installed for a subject that I am doing. I need to have this package installed ros-kinetic-desktop-full so I am giving a bunch of options.

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra                  1641.9 KiB  2.55 MiB/s 00:01 [----------------------------] 100%
 community                 4.8 MiB  3.01 MiB/s 00:02 [----------------------------] 100%
 multilib is up to date
 endeavouros              11.6 KiB  0.00   B/s 00:00 [----------------------------] 100%
:: There are 2 providers available for ros-build-tools:
:: Repository AUR
    1) ros-build-tools 2) ros-build-tools-py3

Enter a number (default=1):
:: There are 2 providers available for python2-catkin_pkg:
    1) python2-catkin_pkg 2) python2-catkin

:: There are 2 providers available for ros-kinetic-opencv3:
    1) ros-kinetic-opencv3 2) ros-kinetic-opencv3-native

:: There are 2 providers available for pcl:
    1) pcl 2) pcl-git

:: There are 2 providers available for gazebo:
    1) gazebo 2) gazebo-hg

:: There are 2 providers available for ignition-cmake:
    1) ignition-cmake 2) ignition-cmake-0

==> Error: Could not find all required packages:
    python2-pydot (Wanted by: ros-kinetic-desktop-full -> ros-kinetic-simulators -> ros-kinetic-rqt-robot-plugins -> ros-kinetic-rqt-tf-tree -> ros-kinetic-qt-dotgraph)

I left everything at default but it failed to install as it needs python2-pydot I tried to install this package yay -S python2-pydot but it still could not get this dependency. Does anyone know where I can install this dependency manually?

Google it…i think it’s 32 bit files.

https://archlinux32.org/packages/i686/community/python2-pydot/

1 Like

Since yay -S python2-pydot doesn’t work so I clicked on the github link https://github.com/pydot/pydot

And then I believe in order to manually install it I have to do this git clone https://github.com/pydot/pydot.git and then I believe there is a way to install it manually but what is the command for it exactly?

I think you run makepkg - si in the directory where the files are saved.

1 Like

I am not speaking from experience here, but if a ROS that works with python3 is available (presumably 64-bit) should you not try that before going down the rabbit hole of 32-bit? I am sure that I would start there…

Freebird54

1 Like

I warned it was 32 bit … :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yes, you did. I merely wondered if OP caught the reference, or knew what he would be getting into (don’t ask). Hopefully the python3 package will have a different set of dependencies that are more easily found - I don’t think fighting with the base OS will improve the fight with the robots! Keep :grin: 'ing

Freebird54

2 Likes

Don’t worry I understood it lol. I just need to get it working just for my uni subject.

And anyways I found another package I could install instead.

You never know who has run into what previously. I am an Arch newbie, and I have LOTSA holes in my knowledge! On the other hand, ROS sound very like something I would love to implement on AmigaOS - the whole thing is built on messages :grin:

Oh - and I don’t have any robots to try it on, either, although they have possibilities as cat entertainment systems.

Freebird54

1 Like

Lol same over here mate :slight_smile:

What is AmigaOS, is it another ARch-distro?

They do have simulations like the turtle thing where you can control it and move it and stuff. It’s interesting though a bit confusing.

Nah - just displaying my ancient credentials. The Amiga was the first commercial true pre-emptive multi-tasking system - made mere Apple Macs and any PC look like the dark ages - this was pre-90’s! A n internally 32-bit computer when PC were 8/16 bit for the most part. Might want to look 'em up in a spare moment. Anyway, I loved 680x0 assembly language on those computers…

Did you try the python3 alternative yet. I could always use a happy ending…

Freebird54

I see.

I wish I could have a play with that system.

Probably I should do that. I do love old computers.

Would your current assembly programming knowledge apply with today’s computers or is it very different?

Lol. I actually tried to install this ros-kinetic-robot and it gave me two options, I think the 2nd option was py3 so I chose the 2nd option but there is this dependency from this webstie https://www.riverbankcomputing (Its some Python dependency I forgot the name I am not booted in Endeavour at the moment) that keeps failing to install simply cause this domain is not working or something. So no happy ending just yet :frowning:

I am afraid that the assembly language knowledge didn’t/doesn’t transfer well at all. I wouldn’t want to target any Intel-type CPU without a compiler, as they have a million workarounds for memory segmentation, and stored things in memory the ‘wrong way around’ on top of that. Or they did - haven’t looked at it in years… I just stick to simple things like straight ‘C’ code, or maybe conky’s and lua addons! Of course, I gather that today’s systems can emulate an Amiga quite well, but I haven’t tried that yet in case of being disappointed… I had a faster, full 32 bit 68030 version, that had so much leftover memory (even when mullti-tasking) that I regularly ran a RAM disk for really quick access.

Good luck with the dependencies - I knew it couldn’t be as easy as just choosing option 2! Have you found, perchance, a .deb or .rpm package complete and ready to go? There ways to repackage those for Arch/Endeavour use if they work… (or even to install them without a repackage if you don’t have time/inclination to do it the proper Arch way).

Freebird54

1 Like

I guess that is the best option then, since Assembly doesn’t seem like very portable at all, at least with C you can more easily port it for other processors and operating systems afaik. Have you tried Rust by any chance?

Oh nice, is that on a VM or something?

You probably would be to a certain degree since it won’t be exactly the same. Wait I forgot though don’t you have a Amiga PC already or something?

How come modern OSes take up so much RAM compared to very old operating systems if you so happen to know?

Both option 1 and 2 have the same issues as the one python package cannot be retrieved. Hopefully the domain is up and running by tomorrow.

Oh nice, is there a tutorial for that I could try that out? But another question though, if I am going to install the deb package (as am example) then would it work with the pacman package manager and would it share the dependencies that may be preinstalled on my PC (if I am making any sense)?

I do have a couple of Amigas around, heck I even have a C64/C128 around still! Most of the reason for today’s ‘bloat’ is caused by the higher and higher level languages being used as a default - they have to hide the complexities of the CPU - and they tend to drag in ‘edge case’ extras right and left. Just as an example, I wrote a little utility for looking at files that could handle Mac files, PC files, and Amiga/Linux/Unix files, wordwrap or not, do search, do paging, display as a hex editor for binaries, and respect windows size and font type/size. I’m pretty sure the executable (without any dependencies required ran to 8K in size :grin:

Those days are gone…

As for tutorials, I am sure they are out there - used one for deconstructing an rpm file, and there is lots of information in the Arch wiki of course, if you can handle the info overload! The result would only be properly handled, dependencies and all, by pacman if you build a proper package capable fo being install by pacman -U. So - potential shipwrecks ahead…

Freebird54

1 Like

Oh wow, people seem to be getting lazier these days as they are depending on higher level languages.

Yes they are and it sucks :frowning: I kinda wish I could live back in the old days.

Please don’t tell me it is not straight forward?

Wish me luck :wink:

Luck is wished. Maybe the piece you need is to be found later…

Good …um…night?

Freebird54

1 Like

Lol thanks, I hope I do find it.

Yes correct it is night, good night to you :slight_smile:

It’s not realistic developping apps in assembly, since you’ll need to spend long time learning your cpu’s architecture and after that being able to develop only for that architecture. Plus assembly (all the dialects of it) has pretty limited and less intuitive syntax (which is basically just a representation of machine code somewhat understandable by humans), compared to higher level languages.
And you hardly even need that just to achieve good performance. Compilers (C/Cpp ones) know your cpu better than you’ll ever do and they optimize the code really really well. I doubt there will be a significant (if any) difference between a good C++ code compiled with the highest optimization level and hand-written assembly…
Sorry for the off-topic, just got interested in the discussion. I don’t use ROS :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I do actually know that it isn’t realistic to program in assembly anymore - part of the reason I don’t do it anymore! However - we DO rely on someone knowing things at that level in order to write the compilers that do all the optimizations - and for that matter that some of the optimizations do NOT work in all cases. Those that Gentoo, for instance, are setting compiler flags all the time for various reasons to have it generate the best code it can for the target system…

A lot of my objections were actually aimed at the Intel architecture, and specifically Windows, which ‘normalized’ the multi-megabyte app instead of a few hundred K. I still can’t believe that upside-down pyramid of WIndows on a DOS base actually survived until XP/NT rescued it!

My other ‘canned’ rant is about how the wheel has been re-invented so many times to no good purpose. [rant] It seems that the fact the the ‘B’ in Basic stood for Beginner’s caused people to ignore it, and try to replace it. In many cases the world would have better served by fixing the problems that many Basic setups had (for instance, as Kemeny and Kurtz attempted with True Basic). Even Microsoft got into the act with Visual Basic (up to version 6), but that got swallowed by their .net dream. Now there are a dozen languages that do no more, and no better than Basic could - that nevertheless require relearning of syntax to get something done. A look at BACON, or even GAMBAS will show that most of it wasn’t necessary…or even a good thing.[/rant]

Anyway - we have what we have, and I’m too old to fight it any more :grin:

Oh, and Tasia91 - it wasn’t any further off-topic than we had already gone!

Freebird54

4 Likes