Do you love Linux, if so why?

Ever since I heard my friend say Linux is amazing you can update the whole computer with one command I was intrigued. Very soon after that I entered a world of pain lol. It’s funny reminiscing. Back then I near enough new next to nothing about computers and IT in general. I started out by trying to install mint and ubuntu on my macbook pro I had back then, I think it was around 2019. I got a friend to sort out the camera and help installing mpfan. Watching him do that was a massive eye opener and step for me. seeing him open up files with nano and make edits or doing google searches to find appropriate fixes.

After that I was on and off with Linux. I’d go through phases where all I’d watch on YouTube were vids about Linux. lol Somewhere I heard about Arch and stupid me make that my new objective. That’s really when the world of pain started. Like seriously I’d be reading and reading and reading for hours and I would be feeling pain lol in my chest from reading so much and not understanding a thing. Literally hahahaha literally months it took me lol and then I’d give up and then go back to it. I didn’t have a clue what it meant when the wiki said echo xyz, the most obvious and basic things confused me.

but eventually the day came. I rebooted after creating a new user and enabling the display manager into my new system. I had used networkmanager and when my wifi was work, sound and keyboard locale all sorted that feeling was just crazy lol.

I then went on to try out loads of different DE’s and came across xfce. lol Looking back I think damn! After installing xfce I stick my USB into the machine and … lol nothing happens lol. I didn’t have a clue, didn’t understand about mounting automounting etc. lol Reading and reading and reading and of course missing the point lol. yeah Volman. lol one word. I must have read that as I read so much but didn’t get. I think I came accross udisk2 or something and spent about lol 6hrs trying work out how to install and configure it. My gosh from what I remember it was just downloading two programs and editing one config. Eventually got it done somehow and again that feeling of achievement was amazing. lol I laugh thinking back to it. It was like last week I think when I read the wiki and thought oh s*** I could have just got volman and some other packages to give more functionality to thunar. With time I think a person eventually starts to understand more and more of the wiki. lol like the .................. above and below in a config file means there’s other stuff added in that config file.

I think that’s why I love Linux. The feeling of overcoming a tremendous challenge and also learning how it all works. Having control over the whole system.

Without a doubt I have learnt what I’ve learnt so far about Linux the hard way. The majority of what I have learnt has been without a teacher. That’s why I appreciate it so much when people like @dalto share gems of information lol such as drop-ins.

It’s been a journey and a half I hope it continues.

Why do you love Linux?

3 Likes

I’ve always been a curious explorer type and advocate of freedom

Windoze and Crapple don’t allow nearly as much exploration and customization of your system, and certainly not the freedom of Linux

2 Likes

To me it is first and foremost the modularity, where I can build up a fast and lean system and be in control.

Then it is the scaleability. You can build anything you want. I’m getting into Homelab stuff, and will have years of learning and entertainment from that, it is one giant, great, computer game!

And then it is the freedom, in all senses of the word. The above points are of course a function of that.

6 Likes

For me it’s a matter of convenience. Mostly the package manager. I sometimes need to setup a Windows machine for acquaintances and I feel silly googling and downloading exe installer files, then clicking next-next-oops-goback-uncheck-adware-next-finish, always on the lookout for red flags and checking to see if the file is legit or not. I’m very proficient at googling, so it’s not really that much effort, but it does not compare to yay [program name] or even better yay -S package-name-1 package-name-2 ....

Yes, you can’t run many commercial software, but often times I find very good or better open-source alternatives. I must laugh when I see the hoops Windows users need to go through to use “freeware”, the ads they are subjected to, the scaremongering popups from antivirus software prompting them to upgrade their subscription etc.

What I also like about Linux is the fact I can customize it to my liking. Firstly choose a DE suited for my workflow, then choose icon set, window appearance, change window decorations, move icons here and there, quickly open up a style sheet and change default look and feel, etc. Windows has made good steps towards better customization, but it’s still very far from what you can do on Linux.

Did I mention I love not having 20%-50% of my resources hogged down by antivirus software?

2 Likes
  1. It works

2. It doesn’t show me adverts

3. It doesn’t try to slurp my data

6 Likes

I started using it because I found it cool and I wanted to be so too. I kept on using it because I kept finding cool things about it and I wanted to be cool still. Nowadays, though, I use because while it is still pretty cool, it is also less of a pain in the butt compared to Windows. I got used to the Linux way of doing things and I find the way Linux does many things like

• the way you install programs
  • the complete freedom of it
  • the transparent nature of it all
    more appealing than Windows’ way of doing things.

So, I love Linux because it doesn’t get in my way as Windows does.

3 Likes

using linux is one way to f*** the system … a little bit. so, yeah :sunglasses: i love it

4 Likes

Story time: I quickly got pissed at Microsoft when they tweaked DOS to kill a X-Window compatible vendor product, then big release of Window 3.1 in the early-90s. Microsoft was ruthless in destroying any challenger.

1995 I was tri-booting DOS/Windows, Windows NT 3.1 and Slackware. I think the kernel was 0.99.x. Linux was magical and free as-in beer. Other Unix systems were 2-3K, however I remember Coherent was a Unix system they were selling for $99 or $199. Didn’t buy it.

Everything was fun to explore. Mandrake with his Enlightenment DE was exciting and magical. Learning more and more.

I developed on Windows NT at work and it was horrid. Visual C++ was full of bugs and don’t get me started about iterating over empty collection. I f’ing hated everything about MS at this point. The Visual C++ was a stop gap until the HP E55 was delivered. Once setup I moved the code to the E55 and developed using GCC and GDB over term (no windows) and this is where I became a Vi nut. Ever since I cannot stand using a mouse to edit software.

The big switchover was duel-boot SUSE and Windows in 1997. I was at a client site and up sold them. Brought up the 2 page contract and as soon as I typed a single character, BSOD. Rebooted and tried again, BSOD. Rebooted to Suse, fired up StarOffice and edited the document and closed the deal. Deleted Microsoft when I returned to the office and never used Microsoft OS again since, either at home or work.

5 Likes

Because it ain’t Windoze!

5 Likes

Because it’s less shiny on my window.

3 Likes

I use Linux because it just works.

6 Likes

#metoo

4 Likes

This might sound crazy, but I didn’t own a computer for most of my early adult life. I worked outside (specifically farm work and later as a wrangler), and even when I went back to school most of my homework was still paper or done on an iPad. I didn’t have a lot of direct contact with desktop computers/laptops until about 4 years ago.

That may have made Mac OS and Windows even more appalling- I didn’t use Windows 8 or even 10 until late into its life. It wasn’t a gradual en****ification, It was instant. When I put together a parts PC in 2020 I just knew I wasn’t putting Windows 10 on it. That led me to Ubuntu/Kubuntu, then Pop!_OS, and then a bunch of distrohopping. I tried Fedora out last year, then Arch, and then Debian last winter. Now I’m here :smiley:

It was a learning curve, but having control over my hardware, software, and data mean a lot to me. I even took free courses in using Unix/Linux systems offered by my school to make sure I knew what I was doing.

I may not specifically love Linux, I think I’d be just as happy running BSD or something similar. But I love the amount of freedom and control it gives me.

3 Likes

pretty much ^^ sometimes.

This “world of pain” on its worst days could never be as miserable, and humiliating, as the experience of using Windows every day.

2 Likes

Long story, probably repeated elsewhere. Visually impaired. Microsoft threw disabled users under the bus with Windows 8. Had grown up with Linux since Mandrake and Redhat in the early 90’s, so making the switch wasn’t hard. KDE and Plasma are a heaven-send for being able to make a genuinely functional high-contrast theme that’s adjustable and capable of being flexible. Couldn’t imagine going back to Windows from either a privacy, usability, or security perspective.

6 Likes

Works fast, data privacy, no commercials/ads flooding my screen, highly customizeable. :enos: :purple_heart:

And I love to tinker :smiley:

2 Likes

I learned Unix in 1988 at University. Worked with Unix from 1992 to 1997 (give or take a year). when the CAD software we used transitioned from dedicated workstations to Windows 95 PCs. I installed Linux on my home system at that time because I wanted to keep up the skills I had developed.

What I loved was to see the progress Linux has made in the years since. Still love seeing the progress.

2 Likes

Hmm, let me put it like this. I have never used an operating system that did not have problems. I’ve only used one operating system that allowed me to fix those problems. That is linux and that is why I love it.

5 Likes

My view of Windows. . .

Windows re-installation is extremely slow. . . . just try downloading the sequential files that fix system bugs, you’ll see I’m not lying. . . the installation and downloads take for-ever.

Using Linux, I can get my system up and running in 30 minutes. Additional apps can maybe take two hours of extra time depending on how many I choose to install and the categories.

File de-fragmentaion is slow. SSD’s faster? Probably. Time-consuming and slow. Does it really help?. Maybe it does for Drive manufacturers sales. . .

No need for doing this using Linux.

Viruses. . . Trojans. . . too many to list.
Never seen one in 25 years using Linux.

Software bloat is astronomical and the lay-out lousy. One shoe doesn’t fit everyone.

Propriety means take it or leave it. . . we control what you see, how it works, and what is allowed. You just pay the price. . . . you live with the consequences.

A lousy software system in my opinion. If you’re shopping for kitchen appliances, maybe this is your bag.

Rich;)

3 Likes

This feels kinda like asking people at a bar if they like to drink. . .

3 Likes