Do people use kernel-install?

Do eos folks generally use the kernel-install CLI program to add kernels? And if so, do you need to rebuild grub after adding a kernel with kernel-install, or does it do that automatically? Pardon me if these are dumb questions but all my worst linux breakages have revolved around grub, so I get very paranoid any time I mess with it.

I’ve never used kernel-install, I’ve only used AKM, installed from the welcome menu. I installed the LTS and zen kernels in addition to the “normal” one and have had 0 issues with it. Does kernel-install have some additional functionality that you are looking for?

Not a dumb question.
I don’t know how well you feel with administrating your Linux box, but I would handle everything kernel related manually. Except of course from the kernels that are in the official repos.

1 Like

Well that was easy. I’d somehow missed AKM. I just used it to install the lts kernel and noted that all it did was pacman -S for the linux package and headers, and pacman then rebuilt grub automatically. Can I assume it would do the same if I just installed the kernel and headers through pacman without AKM?

1 Like

TIL: kernel-install

I’ve installed all kernel variants with pacman. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Rebuilding grub is based on pacman hook that automatically builds grub when kernel is installed or removed.
See file /etc/pacman.d/hooks/grub-update-after-kernel.hook, which is a file in package grub-tools.

AKM actually uses pacman for those operations.

3 Likes