Distrohopping cure

Please pay attention to the stickied friendly reminder post. We don’t like to bash other distributions here. Everyone has their way of doing things. It’s the beauty of Arch.

This is in general as well and not solely directed at @Orca :wink:

3 Likes

We know. Manjaro is still a mess but regardless, people use what distro they want. Also, as Elloquin pointed out, let’s not bash distros here, gobble gobble

@BONK @TurkeyJohn
But can we zsh or fish other distros?! :blush:

5 Likes

My first positive experience with Linux was Zorin Lite. It ran trouble free for 2 years on an old i3-2100 desktop. It was bulletproof. I only dumped it because I started distro hopping. Now I’m having the same experience with EOS. It has been every bit as stable for me as Zorin was. Furthermore, EOS installs & runs fine on old or new hardware. If it ever breaks beyond my (very limited) ability to fix it, I have all my stuff backed up, and a re-install takes only a few minutes. I still contend that EOS is for noobs.

1 Like

there is barely any resemblance between debian and ubuntu any more …

take a look at any debian distro forum and see endless threads by people messing up their system by adding ubuntu PPAs to their repos…

best way to create a monstrous frankendebian is to follow the first ubuntu troubleshooting hit on google … ubuntu is ubuntu and debian is debian

2 Likes

They share the same package manager and many of the same packages. They also have a very similar structure. While they are not identical, they are still close. Ubuntu is still layered on top of Debian.

For example, someone who has been using Ubuntu could likely move to MX or LMDE without having to learn much new. On the other hand, moving to Fedora/SUSE/Arch/etc would be much more of a learning curve.

That being said, this topic started out by someone being excited about EndeavourOS. It would be great to get back to that topic. :smile:

6 Likes

not_for_noobs

That one thing i miss about Plasma, the pamac tray app. Not needed but very nice to have. :smile:

I would say that’s not true at all. Manjaro to Arch maybe. If you said SokydXK is to Debian, I would probably agree.

1 Like

2021-03-31-18:42:31-screenshot

***Currently busy…no desire to hop…well until Sunday :rabbit:

5 Likes

There ya go. It’s definitely a DE hop most people haven’t done before! Looks good, how are you liking it?

Well you are definitely terminal centric :sunglasses:

EOS cured me.
Now if only I can find a cure for DE-hopping. Is Der Doctor in the house?

Michael