Display brightness keys do not work in KDE

@Kekker
I just posted a question to another user with the same hardware to see if they had it working?

$ lsmod | grep i2c
usbhid                 77824  0
mac_hid                12288  0
hid_multitouch         32768  0
hid_generic            12288  0
i2c_hid_acpi           12288  0
i2c_hid                40960  1 i2c_hid_acpi

After reading this thread on the Framework forum, I found that the backlight keys are on a different device called “FRMW0004:00 32AC:0006 Consumer Control”. When I run evtest on that device, the keys show up and the inputs are read. Yet for some reason the backlight refuses to change.

What really confuses me is that it works fine on the live ISO. I don’t know what’s could be making a difference between the live ISO and a fresh install.

The other user @deathbymanatee said it worked right out of the box. He did also say this about hibernation. Using kernel parameter.

rtc_cmos.use_acpi_alarm=1

This disables the ACPI alarm so that the laptop can properly suspend-then-hibernate, which is the method I use when closing the lid.

Edit: Not sure if the user has the exact same hardware but i think it is.
Edit: He also stated this is on Wayland.

Did you try the kernel parameter module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub that they are using for the Intel version just to see?

I did try that just for fun, but as far as I’m aware that does the same thing as blacklisting in modules.d or using rmmod. In every approach, hid_sensor_hub is unloaded successfully but I see no change with pressing the brightness keys.

I really think this is a KDE problem, not a hardware problem. Per my understanding of the ALS sensor kernel problem, the keys should not work at all without that module blacklisted, even in a live environment. But those keys do work in a live environment and are recognized in evtest in all environments if I look at the right device. evtest sees the keys even without any of the workarounds.

I’ll have to try Gnome or something when I get off work to see if brightness works there. If it does, then I’d say this is definitely a KDE problem and try their forum instead.

I find it hard to be a KDE problem when other hardware works properly with KDE Plasma such as my Lenovo Thinkbook. It has to be a hardware problem visa vi the UEFI firmware (Bios) or the actual hardware devices themselves. :thinking:

Are there any UEFI firmware updates for this Laptop yet?

Check to see if you’re on the latest firmware. The current version of the AMD Framework’s firmware is v3.05 which can be found here, under the Linux/Other/UEFI Shell update section.

To check your machine’s current firmware version, run this command:

sudo dmidecode -s bios-version

It may be worth trying the update out if you’re still on v3.03.

1 Like