Discord Server?

With Antergos they had a bot that would bridge IRC and Telegram. we could do the same thing with Matrix and Telegram using the Telegram 2 Matrix bridge (https://t2bot.io/telegram/)

1 Like

Here in the US I never even heard of that crappy telegram website till I saw you guys link to it. Iā€™m seeing in several areas of the linux and gaming community everyone uses discord though. The Reborn guys already have a pretty good discord going (even if not super active yet). Other linux discords like the TKG frog discord are very active.

The Telegram channel was supposed to be a temporarily channel until the forum was launched, but after a bit of research we found out that our Spanish speaking community relies on Telegram a lot. Since we ā€œinheretedā€ the Antergos community, which had a big Spanish speaking community, we kept it like that.
Even though our community is fairly active on Telegram, Iā€™ve noticed when people ask for help in the Telegram group, it mostly concerns a problem thatā€™s been discussed and even solved on the forum, or it concerns about basic info that is adressed on the website or wiki.
Our team is small and it is a lot of work to maintain and show our faces on a variety of social media platforms, keep in mind that we also have a distro to maintain.
So weā€™re not going to open new social media channels for this reason, itā€™s just a matter of quality control and for the sake of keeping this project manageable next to our daily lifes.

2 Likes

In a perfect world there would be a proper FOSS-solution for all community channels. But as we all know we are far away from that, so we do have to make compromises.
There are users who already have one account on Telegram or Discord and maybe donā€™t want another account and thatā€™s a privacy concern also. Long talk short: there is no perfect solution, so we have to find a compromise.
And still not everybody will like it. :slight_smile: Luckily every option is only an offer and nobody is forced to use it.
Me personally liked the old IRC-days but thatā€™s a few years in the past. Maybe I still got an old Discord-Account if I forgot to delete it. And I read something about Matrix and Riot but isnā€™t that a server you have to setup yourself and have to maintain? More work for the team? :thinking:

as for telegram, is this case easier to have, sudo pacman -S telegram , and your in, also even people with old phone"s can use telegramā€¦ also self actie on irc, the antergos irc bridge does not work here and then, but asked bridge maker, but he probably stop bridging it, lot bugsā€¦i dont dont know, atleast he is dutch :slight_smile: i dont use discord, sure, it is easier to setup multiple channel, like offtopic, developement, but on every socialmedia online is hard to swallowā€¦ at the end we must make a choice :slight_smile:

You donā€™t have to run a server yourself. You can just use the matrix.org one via Riot or whatever client.

I use it for Matrix and IRC channels (itā€™s bridged to Freenode and some others).

Iā€™d be totally fine if someone put up a Matrix/TG/Discord bridge but I have no desire to use a phone number for a project that no one knows any more about than FB or Google (at least we know their business model is all about user data). Some day it will be hacked/dead and/or leaked and itā€™s just more personal info out there to tie together with usernames and whatnot.
Matrix only needs an email address and that is disposable :deciduous_tree::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree:

But yeah, we all have our choices :man_in_tuxedo: (all I got from searching tux!)

2 Likes

I second this, Iā€™d love to see a matrix room set up with all the appropriate bridges. I its not that hard to set up the matrix telegram bridge, the entries just look funny with the bridge prefix to the names, but I donā€™t think itā€™s all that big a deal

1 Like