Discord Clients independent of the DE

Just eager to know what discord clients you are using. I am using Qtile WM as my daily driver and hence not looking for DE dependent clients.

I don’t use Discord, but I hear using non-official clients can get you banned.

Also, I don’t think any client is β€œDE dependent”, as long as you have a graphical environment everything should work just fine, you 100% can use the official client on Qtile.

1 Like

Discord is π–†π–‡π–˜π–”π–‘π–šπ–™π–Šπ–‘π–ž π–•π–—π–”π–•π–—π–Žπ–Šπ–™π–†π–—π–ž, it is an unsafe protocol that has had many data leaks, and the client is probably spyware. Use something free, instead, like Signal.

2 Likes

Yeah, because using your phone number as your public chat ID and giving it to people you’ve never met and probably don’t want to meet is such a great idea. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Signal as a Discord alternative? That’s amusing, it’s not even close to being the same. A better alternative to push would be Matrix

As far as OPs question goes, Discord is not DE Dependent you just need any graphical environment. I had some lag issues though with my machine and had to install electron16 and create a .electron16-flags.conf file to smooth it out.

1 Like

I doubt if Discord or any alternatives depend on DE functionality. I simply use Discord itself.

I’d suggest Webcord. It’s a discord client hardened for security (newer Electron version, Content Security Policies etc.) and privacy (block various permissions/APIs).
I have been using it for a few weeks without any problems.

1 Like

Yeah, Discord is pretty much a web app, period, and runs in a browser or in Electron (which is a browser, let’s face it). They don’t make a terminal client, and one of the draws of Discord is it’s various gaming integrations.

1. i misread this part from arch wiki. not even misread, a quick glance made me think that the client is gnome dependent.

even funnier, it is not even a client.

1. another thing, i need to follow someone who is active on discord. so i don’t see the point of alternates to discord itself (or) am i missing something here.

Anyway to run discord on emacs? That may be DE independent :grin: