Desktop Environment fails to Boot after update

I did not use eos for a long time and i wanted to get back at it. After Booting i updated the mirrors, Keys and then used a yay to Update the System. Once it ended it asked me to reboot. When i did that, kde didnt work. Since I3 was an alternative on the login Screen and i could use it to fix stuff i select ed it. It was very Slow tho. I Tried a yay and it installed other Updates, mainly applications like chrome. After rebooting Alain neither kde Or i3 worked. I get Stuck at the Login screen. It still verify passwords. If i type the right one the screen goes Black with the boot checks text for a second and then the login screen appear again.

Trying to Diagnose something i found that notification service gives a timeout error. I tried to edit the Name in a file (a suggestion i’ve found here if notify Service fail with timeout) but Nothing changed. What can i do? What more info i can give? I have a Nvidia 950m and Intel i5 If that helps
I can still Access with tty

Can you quantify ‘long time’? 3 weeks? 3 months? 3 years?

3/4 months

Are you able get to TTY?

Alt+Ctrl+F2F7

Yes. All tty are working. X doesnt. Just the Login screen works

This is a pretty serious problem. There’s no way a yay update would install applications unless you specifically told it to install them.

Are you sure you’re on endeavour? Or is there something else missing to this?

Please provide complete input and output of

yay

100% EOS. Maybe i Misread during that second update at this Point and it wasnt chrome. The input i gave was just yay. It updated 886 dependencies. After the reboot i sent a yay again because i tought that Maybe some Update failed (since i couldn’t access KDE) It did Update 15 other dependencies. After rebooting again i couldn’t Access from any desktop Environment.

I have no important data on this machine. I just wanted to use eos to learn it. I could Always reinstall. But it Sounds like a good opportunity to learn.

Is there some Status Report i can give to help to Diagnose the Problem?

90% likelihood (my opinion) it’s Nvidia.

I have a

[FAILED] Failed to start Notify about reboot on special conditions

Doing

systemctl status eos-reboot-required.service

I get

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/eos-reboot-required.service; disabled; preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2023-09-14 14:38:55 CEST; 1h 52min left
TriggeredBy: o eos-reboot-required.timer
Process: 546 ExecStart=/usr/bin/eos-reboot-required3 (code=exited, status=1/failure)
Main PID: 546 (code=exited, status=1/failure)
CPU: 39ms

And under it (apart from timer and system name):

systemd[1]: Starting Notify about report on special conditions….
eos-reboot-required[668]: /usr/bin/id :black_small_square::black_small_square:: no such user
eos-reboot-required[669]: su: user does not exist or the user entry does not contain all the required fields
systemd[1]: eos-reboot-required.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/failure
systemd[1]: eos-reboot-required.service: mailed with result ‘exit-code’.
systemd[1]: Failed to start Notify about reboot on special conditions…

Does this help identify?

Doing

systemctl status

It says State: degraded

It’s good that you want to learn. Then let’s get those hands dirty. Pull up your sleeves and time to dig.

First please run the below codes in your terminal and post the link that you get here.

$ inxi -Fxxc0z | eos-sendlog
$ journalctl -k -b -0 | eos-sendlog

These will give us more info on your system and other stuff. Run one command at a time and the $ sign is not part of the command it’s just to reflect the terminal prompt.

Sorry for the late reply

The first says

Invalid byte sequence for encoding “UTF8”: 0xd0 0x1e

The second says

http://ix.io/4GOp