Dependency hell

There is an article on Wikipedia describing what almost every user has experienced.

Welcome to Arch

Enjoy Endeavour

1 Like

sure! but pacman is handling deps very nicely !

2 Likes

Dependency Hell:

• Suse and Fedora? Within a week.
  • Debian? Within 6 months.
  • Arch-based? …Still waiting for it.
3 Likes

Hmm, I’m surprised this is a Wikipedia page, what’s next, metric system hell? (this is not addressed to you, @Rocky-IV)

1 Like

I actually have not found this to be the case with Arch based distro’s in general. As @joekamprad say’s pacman does a pretty good job in handling dependency issues. When there is a problem it usually lets you know. People just need to learn to read the screen and look at what information it’s giving you. Not ALL warnings or errors are a problem. Sometimes it’s just the system giving you information and making you aware of what it’s doing. I think people end up in Dependency Hell when they just blindly over-react and automatically press enter or delete things or whatever the case may be without taking a moment to read and try to understand what it’s telling you. Most times pacman is telling you it’s removing something because of a dependency issue or asking for your permission before it attempts to make changes which may require saying yes or no! I don’t think this kind of article tells the real story and would make most people avoid rather than seek knowledge. Linux is not the OS to just install and click on Icons and update. It requires a desire to learn new things, adjust to a different way of using it and the ability to use this information to maintain and also deal with certain issues that may or may not be caused by the user or a change in hardware or a package update. It may be a challenge but Dependecy Hell i think not. That assertion is just false!

Besides when you’re on Endeavour everything is better! :wink:

3 Likes

All of the references in that wiki post are 10’s of years old I don’t really see the relevance to today’s standards. I have also not experienced this phenomena…not even on deepin :grinning:

2 Likes

As I said before, why is this a wikipedia page. it’s nothing more than a rant of someone who had some issues with their computer systems.

1 Like

I had more than my share fair of dependency hell using Ubuntu, no such issues with Arch.

2 Likes

this article is bennis bread for the pro of the universal packages; considering the age of the content

My experience tells me that most of the times really the user is the problem. A lot of people are too lazy to read and try to understand how package managing systems work. They don’t even listen to good advice. As I told you in my introduction post I was quite active in another forum of a different distribution where the package management is more complex as it is with pacman or yay. I can assure you that more than 90 percent of the problems were the result of wrong settings of the package management. But most of the times they blamed the OS for being bad or buggy.
So I really share the opinion of @ricklinux.

2 Likes

Pacman seems to work well, and I have had good experience with Octopi as well. As someone experienced in other flavors of Linux (and BSD), I was always afraid of Arch until Antergos/EndeavorOS. No fear anymore. Despite being an Arch newbie, I have managed to keep my orphaned Antergos running since May without significant issue. The one or two dependency update issues I had were issues for the whole Arch community that were easily fixed through monitoring this forum (I didn’t even have to ask, they were already addressed) and acting on the advice of the experienced folks here. My EndeavourOS is humming along nicely. Way more work was required for me to update LinuxMint from 19.2 to 19.3 or MacOS to Mojave than has been required for these Arch based distros. Of course, the helpful community is key to this, thanks again to the EndeavourOS team and here’s to a successful 2020.

1 Like

sometimes i use the pkgbuild of metacity and remove un depency like zenity because i use qarma has a zenity command line too… so i avoid other depency’s thats comes with zenity :slight_smile: does not always work that way sometimes does, thats sometime play with it… like lxqt+metacity with lesser depency

The one term I was taught when in Computer College: RTFM - Read The F*****’ Manual! Only in this reading it should be changed to RTOT - Read The Output Of The Terminal!

I’m as guilty as the rest of us not paying attention (sometimes) to what the terminal is telling me - especially early in the morning when I’m not fully awake, and haven’t finished my first cup of coffee. However having said that: I now don’t attempt to do anything with the terminal until I’m fully awake and alert. That has saved my butt plenty of times from complete disaster - although not fully! Sometimes my IQ goes south from time to time (ie: irritations from work or life) - and you guessed it - mistakes do happen. :grin:

I always have to remember what my dad told me once: make sure your brain is fully engaged before putting your mouth in gear! All I do is replace mouth with typing on keyboard & mouth in gear with hit send - and that has truly worked wonders.

At least that’s my two cents on the Wikipedia article.

1 Like

When I first came to Brazil from the UK and began PC maintenance (now retired) my move coincided with the first Portuguese translation of RegCleaner. Business boomed and I was reinstalling Windows like confetti, sometimes the same system twice in a week!

Linux users tend to be more educated regarding system usage but natural human trends still prevail where updates and package management is concerned. You can make whatever judgments you want about standard releases, LTS, rolling or half-rolling but eventually an issue can and likely will affect whatever system choice you’ve made.

Users can mitigate the risks by researching updates before pushing the button and adopting safe practices for software installs but related forum posts after the event will always be something mods and other members have to deal with. This is one of the better forums regarding attitudes and long may it remain so.

1 Like