Hi all, just moved from Xubuntu to Endeavour mainly due to the whole ‘snap’ direction they’re heading [insert angry rant here]
Everything is working great and I’m very pleased with my new OS, but some things were not as smooth as they could be, so just wanted to provide a few notes for the devs. The main problem was that the default /etc/fstab seemed incomplete, it has “uuid=” for the root and swap and this seems to cause a 1m30s timeout of /dev/disk/by-uuid on startup, I modified fstab using blkid to fill in the uuids and that fixed the problem…VERY fast boot and shutdown!..seriously OMG!
The other issue is that two WIFI dongles I have don’t work very well, they show up in lsusb and I see my wifi router in the list, I provide the password (and double check it), but it won’t connect, on the second WIFI dongle, it doesn’t work unless I unplug it, wait a bit and plug it back in and mostly it works, but not always. I’m connected to the internet via LAN cable now, so happy with that solution rather than getting them working, but here is their info FYI:
ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
and the second one:
ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
They’re both probably quite old, so maybe they’re firmware isn’t included?
Anyway, thank you to the developers, I’ve always wanted to run Arch, but not geeky enough Also Xfce has been my fave DE for a while now.
All the best,
A friendly welcome in the forum!
- both wifi sticks are REALTEK chipset known to cause issues at Linux/Archlinux
there is mostly a solution on them but needs investigation first, so we need some output to see what happens with the WIFI:
ip link and a journal:
lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io
(this will produce hardware info and bootlog pastbin it and give a short url you can post here for us to investigate)
and Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
may work with this driver build from AUR:
- fstab issue:
our installer framework is calamares (we do not develop this on our own) and it has still some issues for archinstalls so to see what went wrong on your install we need to know exactly what do you coose on installation process inside installer.
The WIFI dongle was showing:
wlp0s18f2u6: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 1e:03:7b:59:59:1e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
at first, but after re-plugging it back in, started working! I’ve done a “yay -Syu” since last testing it, so maybe an update helped? I think I saw one of the updates flash by that mentioned networking.
Here’s the full log anyway, but I think it’s working fine now.
As for the fstab, I selected manual partitioning, as I dual boot with Windows 10, so I removed the first partition(Ubuntu), selected it for mounting as / and left the SWAP as it was, so the final layout looks like this:
Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 2048 645480447 645478400 307.8G 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 * 645480448 646604799 1124352 549M 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 646604800 1921525759 1274920960 608G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda4 1921525760 1953520064 31994305 15.3G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
and the fstab looked like this before I added the UUID:
UUID= / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
Thank you once again for an awesome distro!