Data Monitization: I guess I m on the fence

I ve always looked at data monetization as a big evil in today s society. I haven t really thought about it much though. My quick and dirty is, as the end user, my business is my business, and left it at that. The idea of some outside company capturing any of my business, and using it for their monetary gain is repulsive. Telemetry is a good example. For me a big part of it is the potential of deception, or maybe even the idea of me not knowing how they gain from something I did. I should gain from something I did; not them.
Some entities state/imply from the beginning they capture your data, and plan on using it for their gain.
The turnip truck dropped me off decades ago though. I don t know what a company does with my data. They can say. and do anything they like. On the other hand, it doen t sound un reasonable. Why not do it? It s another tool in their shed. It s a business after all. The whole idea is to make a profit…
For me though, it all falls back to that deceptive nature of not knowing what and how they make money off of my acts. Maybe if they shared exactly the info they used, and how they profited, or mabey even shared with me some of that monetary gain. I don t know.
When it comes down to it, using user data for the benefit of say, user experience, or, detecting trends, and in turn, monetarily gaining from that fore knowledge, seems reasonable. Say this forum for instance. No doubt much data is collected. If that data is used for a better user experience I m all for it. But the idea of some of my data being used for monetary gain, under the rug so to speak, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Do you have some kind of phobia about apostrophes?

1 Like

data collection improves experience =you are fine with
pure profit from data= not fine with

I agree in principle. But I trust no arbitrator to make that distinction for me, or to even make it. And somebody has to step up and make that distinction. my conundrum to be sure.

I love them. They are the forgotten part of life. After all, life is just a group of apostrophes, with ones acts, experiences, and thoughts, in between…or something like that :crazy_face:

Edit: I guess I screwed that up. I meant commas; not apostrophes. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So - genuine question here - why are there no apostrophes in your posts? Is the key broken on your keyboard?

Is it just me who can’t see them? I double-checked on my phone, and I didn’t see any apostrophes there, either, so I don’t think that’s it…

I guess it s a way I ve developed to type contractions. Nothing is wrong with you re phone.

1 Like

No nothing wrong with their phone, but something wrong with your post.

That’s how I honestly see data collection too: if I ultimately get a better user experience, then go ahead. If you want to gain money from this data, I don’t like that and I will not tolerate it. Problem is when both happens because would you rather have a better UX or more privacy? I think that’s up to what you want more from the service and in general in your life. For some services, I’m more willing than for others, but generally, I want privacy.

Data collection, was already way before system called internet :slight_smile: but free & privacy also dont come together. If you have a paid vpn/search engine ot whatsoever is paid by your self probably data collection is less… but if you go into the free realm collection is need also it paid there bills too. left or right its all baked in also :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe something is wrong with your interpretation. You should loose much sleep over it all, Think it over a bit, and then get over it, because it is what it is. :+1:

1 Like

It definitely has a noticeable impact on the readability of your post. I think most of us here have a reasonably high tolerance for typos, misspelled words, and so on, but if this is something you are doing on purpose I would reconsider. With a small amount of effort, you could eventually retrain yourself to use the apostrophe so your message is more clear.

Some options that would be better than using a space where an apostrophe should be:

1. Use an apostrophe instead. This is the best option.
  2. Stop using contractions or other words which require an apostrophe. Instead, use the actual words in uncontracted form and let the space you are adding be the delimiter between the words. This is the second-best option.
  3. Continue to leave off the apostrophe, but don’t add a space where the apostrophe should be (your words would look like “dont”, “Im”, “doesnt”, etc). Your post will still be a wall of typos, but without the confusing word breaks it will be much less uncomfortable to read through.

Data, like any other resource which is freely available for the taking, will be monetized if people can find a way to do it. There is no way around that.

User data which is for sale is generally more valuable the more specific it is. It’s one thing for a company to say, “I want to see how many people visited my website today”; it’s another thing altogether for a company to say, “I want to see how many people visited my website today who have at least one cat, do not comb their hair, are overdue for an oil change in their car, and have eaten a hot dog at some point in the past two weeks.” The latter request involves extremely specific data, so relevant data collection needs to go deeper.

Companies who sell this kind of highly specific data need to collect as much information from users as they can, so when the opportunity to sell data related to who has or hasn’t eaten a hot dog comes along they are prepared. It is increasingly common for websites to not only track what pages you visit or what links you click on, but also track more specific information like what images you stop scrolling the page to look at, or where your mouse cursor hovers when you are reading a paragraph, and so on.

The best you can do is make an effort to be careful with the data that you are choosing to release (publicly, for free) with your behavior online. Using a VPN, a privacy-focused browser, etc can be helpful, but really the only foolproof way to prevent companies from aggressively data mining your life is to stop using websites and services that do it in the first place.

1 Like