Data backup

I don’t trust it either, but I still use it. I take my locally encrypted borg backups and sync them to the cloud with rclone. My cloud provider doesn’t ever see my encryption keys or anything else. If you were really paranoid you could encrypt them again with rclone using different keys. :male_detective:

While I suppose it is possible to use borg to create simple replica, most people don’t use it that way. Since borg deduplicates your data you can have many copies of your data over time with minimal overhead.

It doesn’t stop the corrupted file from being added to your backup set. If managed properly, it keeps a copy of both the corrupted file and the uncorrupted file.

To be clear, my intention was to say “I don’t recommend timeshift for the OPs proposed use”. I wasn’t saying “Timeshift should always be avoided” :grin:

2 Likes

Hello all. I’m just a simple EndeavourOS user so I do not use the sophisticated backup methods listed above.

What I do is just this: I have four (4) 4 TB external hard drives to which I back up my Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos. I only back up an individual folder when I make changes or additions to a folder/file. Therefore, once I have my Music folder, for example, backed up to the drives, I do not back it up again unless I have made any changes.

I should mention that I also have a few other folders I have created (one is called Temporary) and I will back them up whenever I add or delete anything from them.

Generally I add things to my Documents folder every day so I back that up every day.

I have these four (4) hard drives at home and I have four of them just in case one goes bad. (In all the years I have been using external drives, I have had only one go bad such that it could not be recovered.)

Now in addition to all of those drives, I have one additional 4 TB external drive which I keep in the safe deposit box at my bank. I update that one once every three months (I’ll be copying everything from one of my ‘regular’ hard drives over to the safe deposit box one on March 31.)

Have I ‘fouled up’ anything on my computer or even the regular drives? I certainly have done so - but the safe deposit box drive has always come to the rescue. Thus the most data I could lose would be 3 months’ worth.

Is this an expensive and/or cumbersome way to back up my data? Sure it is. But, like others, I do not trust the cloud. I want my data stored in a safe place that belongs just to me and that I can get access to any time I like. (All of my drives are formatted EXT4 and are fully encrypted.)

This is just what I do and everything I have written here is just my own opinion. However, if it is of some help to anyone, then I’m glad that I wrote it.

Thank you for reading this.

Lawrence

2 Likes

Hallo, ich bin gerade dabei, über Verfahrensweise in puncto Datensicherung zu lesen.
Ich selbst verwende deja-dup schon länger und bin damit zufrieden.
Mit luckybackup kann ich nichts anfangen, da ich damit extern nicht speichern kann.
Ich lese von ‘borg’, das du sehr empfiehlst. Ich habe es heruntergeladen von aur, aber
wo erscheint nun diese Anwendung. Ich kann sie bei mir nicht finden.
Eins geht mir schon lange durch den Kopf, wie kann ich das gesamte EOS sichern,
derzeit speichere ich meinen persönlichen Ordner, mit Bilder, Video, Mediathek und Texten.
Aber wenn ich aus irgend einem Grund neu installieren muß, geht das mit der Wiederherstellung von Deja-Dup, aber alles, was ich an Paketen hinzugefügt hatte, muß nochmals neu erstellen.
Dies alles ebenfalls speichern, das ist doch sicherlich möglich, aber mit welchem Programm ?`
Mit ‘restic’ habe ich das gleiche Problem wie mit ‘borg’ - ich kann das Paket nirgendwo finden.
Du schreibst, ‘borg’ ist eine echte Datensicherung - eben auch für das System EOS-
Es hat mich jetzt neugierig gemacht, aber jetzt stehe ich im Wald und sehe keine Bäume. :roll_eyes:
Deja-Dup ist schon in Ordnung, aber ich speichere eben nur den persönlichen Ordner, nicht mehr und nicht weniger.

borg and restic are command line solutions. They don’t have a native GUI.

However, there is a program called vorta, which is in AUR which is a GUI for borg.

The reality is, the word “backup” is used to refer to a lot of different things. If you want to backup your user data such as documents/pictures/videos/etc that is a different use case than if you want to take a system snapshot for recovery.

timeshift, also in the AUR, does a good job with system recovery. deja-dup, borg/vorta, restic and friends do a good job with backing up user data.

I would recommend using both solutions for what you are trying to accomplish. Let timeshift manage your system images and backup your user data with one of those other solutions.

Danke für deine Hilfe. :slightly_smiling_face:

Although this is an old topic I’d like to ask a question on Vorta.

Currently i have my data backup done with Vorta to a local drive. My question is if it’s possible with Vorta to do a local backup and at the same time (or after the local backup) a backup of the same data to a cloud storage (like borgbase.com)?

If this isn’t possible is there a solution to have this type of backup setup?

Many thanks in advance!!

I use rclone to sync a replica of my encrypted Borg backups into the cloud.

Ok so directly in Vorta this is not possible.

Thanks!! I’ll look deeper into the rclone option to have at least some copy out of the house as emergency backup of my data,

Thanks again @dalto

1 Like

I use Gnome’s Pika Backup (thanks @Scotty_Trees ) which has Borg as the backend, which I encrypt and store a set locally and the cloud.
Then there is @dalto’s Btrfs Assistant, which has never failed me. Once a week I back up the home folder to Google Drive with Déjà Dup.
Overkill? Probably, but it works!

1 Like

I use kopia running in the background you can YT it how it’s done:)

To sync some of my dotties between computers I use chezmoi → https://www.chezmoi.io/#considering-using-chezmoi

Rsnapshot for local backups once a week → https://rsnapshot.org/

1 Like

Same, it is a really good tool