Cryptic systemd-boot warning after systemd upgrade

Not a lot out there since systemd v251 was just released, so I’ll inquire here.

After rebooting this morning, I noticed that one of my services failed. Since the boot finished and my system came up, I figured it wasn’t a critical error. The error in question was with systemd-boot-update.service:

$ journalctl -b -u systemd-boot-update.service --no-hostname
May 24 09:00:57 systemd[1]: Starting Automatic Boot Loader Update...
May 24 09:00:57 bootctl[834]: Read $KERNEL_INSTALL_LAYOUT from /etc/machine-info. Please move it to the layout= setting of /etc/kernel/install.conf.
May 24 09:00:57 bootctl[834]: Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/efi/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi".
May 24 09:00:57 bootctl[834]: Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI".
May 24 09:00:57 systemd[1]: systemd-boot-update.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 24 09:00:57 systemd[1]: systemd-boot-update.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 24 09:00:57 systemd[1]: Failed to start Automatic Boot Loader Update.

I looked at /etc/machine-id and all it has is a long number. The file /etc/kernel/install.conf does not exist, so I’m not sure what it’s asking for.

Maybe this link has the answer?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot#Updating_the_EFI_boot_manager

The automatic update service mentioned in the link is the one I’m using. I edited my OP as my copy/paste missed some of the text.

Your link did help, though. The file in question is part of kernel-install, which I do NOT want to use, so switching back to the pacman hook will fix this.

There are a bunch of systemd-boot enhancements in the latest version of systemd.

More detail can be found here:

That being said, it should continue to work as-is.

I wish they’d go back to the original menu format - left-justified instead of centered.