Create home on a separate drive

Hello! Unfortunately, I don’t remember if the installer allows to create a personal directory on a separate drive? Do I have to perform this operation only after installation, editing the entry in fstab accordingly and assigning permissions?

2 Likes

That’s probably what I would do, if not easily able to do it in the installer. It would take…, not much longer than asking here, to move the home directory and change mounts.

1 Like

It is possible, however, take into account that you can stumble when granting permissions and personally, I would prefer to avoid this, which is why I wanted to ask first on the forum :wink:

I reinstalled eos last week with the same assumption that /home is on a different hard drive.
select in calamers when you are asked to install the system and the system automatically mounts it. no entry in fstab necessary

2 Likes

It’s pretty easy to manage in the installer if you choose the manual partitioning option and explicitly announce the mount points you want (select each partition and click Edit to bring up options window). Just set up the partition before you start the installer with parted or similar.

1 Like

Well, this is Linux almost everything is possible if you know what you’re doing. To answer your query, I would suggest that you do it using the installer. I have my /home on a separate drive but I assigned it to home when I installed the system.

You can do it manually and move your /home to another drive and use fstab to mount it. But if you make a mistake then your might lose the ability to access it. So, what I would do is back up your ~/.config directory and any other files you need and do a full install of the system. And manually partition the drives.

2 Likes

:man_detective: it’s not a big thing to create a separate “/home” after installing.
Only question to me is why ? :wink:
to back up my private and important data I use an independent device :sunglasses: :enos:

1 Like

You have a point, most of what is in home now is config, and there’s a good chance you wouldn’t WANT to blithely restore it any more.
I hadn’t really thought about it…but I do the same thing you mentioned, I don’t backup home, I typically back up only important files to Cloud-backup. In times past, I had backed up certain directories, but even that now-a-days is kinda cumbersome when there’s typically fairly few files (usually a few documents) that I care about. Most documents I make get emailed to someone…so there’s the email server copy, my copy, and the recepient(s) copies.
Times change…

1 Like

But in the installer there is such an option as location, where you select the drive. So I can first select the one on the system /, and then change and edit on the one where my /home should be?

exactly. i have the / directory on a nvme disk and after i selected the ssd disk i have the /home directory on it. fstab was created and /home mounted directly

1 Like

Ok. Let’s try :smiley:

1 Like

good luck

• and the explaination of @swh is quiet good :+1:
1 Like

let me know if it worked

1 Like

Yes it’s work! I assumed that the choice of storage device, is limited to only one, and yet not, and editing for /home on a separate drive, is as possible and correct. Many thanks for your all interest and help me! You are wonderful!

2 Likes

Good to hear, I know in the past that was a limitation on some distros.
I haven’t bothered with separate partitions for a few years, just (as mentioned) backing up my few important files somewhere else and blowing it all away when the whim strikes me to start clean.

1 Like

glad it works! you’re welcome
:+1: :enos:

1 Like

@matadrox well done :+1: congrats :enos:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.