Core dumped when accessing my home folder after updating

Hi there,

I’ve been having an issue for a little while now and I’d like to fix it because this is driving me insane.
So a month ago or so, I had problems after doing my usual weekly update (sudo pacman -Syu). Basically all the packages that required access to my /home/username folder were crashing and running them from terminal would always show the core dumped error. Note that this is specific to this location, because if I try to run thunar from the terminal it’s gonna crash, but if I cd into let’s say .config, it will open without issue. Also it doesn’t happen if I do sudo thunar for example, it will open the home folder without issue.

So basically a ton of packages were crashing because of that and since I wasn’t able to fix the issue I just reverted back to one of my timeshift backup from before the updates. And so for a month now I’ve been using this backup without updating, thinking it will get fixed eventually. Well I tried again today and got the same issue.

Does anyone have any idea on what is happening ? I wish I could give more information but I have no clue what is causing this except for the core dumped error. I have been daily driving linux for years and never had this kind of problem where I just can’t find anyone on the internet with some kind of similar issue.

Might be useful somehow, but when I run thunar from terminal, I get this error too (it still works fine on my backup before updating though) :

GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 22:57:54.590: GFileInfo created without standard::size
GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 22:57:54.590: file …/glib/gio/gfileinfo.c: line 1846 (g_file_info_get_size): should not be reached

Also might want to add that it works fine with another user on the same system (for its own home folder).

Thanks and hopefully someone knows how to deal with this.

Logs please.

1 Like

It may be a useful clue to see the actual terminal output of the problematic update as well.