Cookie banner on the website explained

Today I received a complaint from an anonymous user who doesn’t understand why our website has a cookie consent banner and Arch-Linux doesn’t. According to this visitor, we don’t respect peoples privacy in comparison with Arch.

I want to prevent that this story will blow up and cause panic in the community, so I want to explain the situation.

EndeavourOS is registered in The Netherlands, according to Dutch law, every website must have a cookie consent banner, except when the website purely uses functional cookies.
If a website uses links to social media accounts and makes use of Youtube embedding, the website owner has to inform its users with a cookie consent banner and the fines are not small if you don’t have it.

We DON’T share your information with a third-party, nor are we going to bombard you with “personal” advertisements.

The cookie consent banner is there because the website and/or forum contains links to Youtube, social media accounts and download links for submitted wallpapers.

You can read our Privacy policy by clicking on the top menu.

5 Likes

hello ,he will always have pleunicheuses

2 Likes

Well, there will be always people to cry about everything… How classical!

6 Likes

GDPR and https://endeavouros.com/privacy-policy-2/, that’s all there is to it.

4 Likes

Is it just the Dutch law or actually a EU regulation?

It is an EU regulation but Dutch regulations are (as always) more strict, a website owner also has to have antivirus running on their site.
But I believe France has the same strictness, Linux Mint also has a cookie banner, but Manjaro has not. (Neither did Antergos)

1 Like

Not sure about antivirus, but RGPD (GDPR in France) is applied by many sites.