Converting to rEFInd from sytemd-boot

Done @dalto as per your guidance
etc/fstab now reads:

UUID=FDBB-97B1                            /efi      vfat    defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=7e3cd884-4458-4d26-8b0b-98e2cb0d810d /

deleted ā€œ2ba377af56ef4fb0898b46fcc244bcb9ā€

If you deleted all the folders in /efi you will probably need to run refind-install again.

That is fine. That was the kernels and initrams from systemd-boot.

I did not see this link here:

https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

The link in your post is working OK with me.
Sorry! Which link you mean?

I meant I havenā€™t seen the link in this topic yet. It is the website of rEFInd.

Maybe you mean those 2 links?
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/grub-and-refind/how-to-install-refind/2021/03/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/REFInd#:~:text=For%20many%20systems,EFI%20boot%20application.

Please do not get angry with me @dalto
I saw your post after I rebooted! (there was only the rEFInd screen which had nothing to boot!)
Making (another) fresh install! :thinking:
I wonder after I reboot it would be enough to install rEFInd using just the two commands in my first post?

Or better stick with Grub? I donā€™t feel like it! Prefer rEFInd then refind-btrfs?
I remember I saw some posts saying that rEFInd was actually booting Grub in the background! How is that!
Is this OK?

Highly recommend following the link from Dave and spending some time on Rodā€™s (rEFInd author). The site is a little clunky to navigate, but even after migrating BTRFS+grub systems to rEFInd almost ten times over the past few years, I still had https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind open for reference this week when the grub breakage affected my spare/lab laptop.

rEFInd has gotten good enough that you can just be lucky and have itā€™s auto-detection work right out of the box (dependent on your BTRFS subvolume structure, disk layout, and what kernel(s) you run), or you might need to write a manua boot stanza for each OS & kernel you want to boot.

Having a solid understanding of the UEFI boot sequence is going to be extremely helpful and Rodā€™s website is a huge wealth of that informationā€“and his writing style is a lot more fun that manpages and whitepapers.

If you want to go all the way to a function setup with refind-btrfs, understand that itā€™s an automation tool that parses your refind config to generate a new manual boot stanza for the snapshots. That functionality is 100% dependent on your ability to structure your refind.conf exactly as the tool expects it, since the new per-snapshot stanzas it generates are based on your config file. When working, youā€™ll end up with submenu entries generated for each snapshot in your refind.conf like this:

menuentry "Arch Linux - Stable (rwsnap_2020-12-14_05-00-00_ID502)" {
    icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_arch.png
    volume ARCH
    loader /@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-14_05-00-00_ID502/boot/vmlinuz-linux
    initrd /@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-14_05-00-00_ID502/boot/initramfs-linux.img
    options "root=PARTUUID=048d6fcd-c88c-504d-bd51-dfc0a5bf762d rw add_efi_memmap rootflags=subvol=@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-14_05-00-00_ID502 initrd=@\root\.refind-btrfs\rwsnap_2020-12-14_05-00-00_ID502\boot\intel-ucode.img"
    submenuentry "Arch Linux - Stable (rwsnap_2020-12-13_04-00-00_ID501)" {
        loader /@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-13_04-00-00_ID501/boot/vmlinuz-linux
        initrd /@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-13_04-00-00_ID501/boot/initramfs-linux.img
        options "root=PARTUUID=048d6fcd-c88c-504d-bd51-dfc0a5bf762d rw add_efi_memmap rootflags=subvol=@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-13_04-00-00_ID501 initrd=@\root\.refind-btrfs\rwsnap_2020-12-13_04-00-00_ID501\boot\intel-ucode.img"
    }
    submenuentry "Arch Linux - Stable (rwsnap_2020-12-12_03-00-00_ID500)" {
        loader /@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-12_03-00-00_ID500/boot/vmlinuz-linux
        initrd /@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-12_03-00-00_ID500/boot/initramfs-linux.img
        options "root=PARTUUID=048d6fcd-c88c-504d-bd51-dfc0a5bf762d rw add_efi_memmap rootflags=subvol=@/root/.refind-btrfs/rwsnap_2020-12-12_03-00-00_ID500 initrd=@\root\.refind-btrfs\rwsnap_2020-12-12_03-00-00_ID500\boot\intel-ucode.img"
    }
}

Anyhow, you donā€™t want refind-efi-bin, itā€™s a deprecated precompiled binary. Just plain ā€˜refindā€™ is the package you want. Check out the authorā€™s website and cross your fingers rEFIndā€™s automated detection scans pick up your ESP without any further tinkering. Once youā€™re up and running you can try some manual boot stanzas to prep for the refind-btrfs setup. FWIW, migrating to rEFInd was a great experience for me and really useful building a better understanding the boot sequence for all modern PCsā€“not just linux, so definitely read up on Rodā€™s site and best of luck to you!

P.S. Beware running the refind-install command while in a chroot from a live disk. It uses the boot properties from the bootable USB and the only workaround is configuring rEFInd from scratch by hand.

2 Likes

I read the docs on refind too and tested it extensively in a VM, also with chroot. And decided to stay on GRUB. :smiley:

First of allā€¦ welcome to the EndeavourOS worldā€¦ I am sure you will enjoy.

So, this seems to be absolutely unnecessary for me. I prefer whatever OS, whatever appā€¦ just worksā€¦ or I just install and thatā€™s all.
This is why I am on a rolling release.

I thought installing and configuring rEFind (and the snapshots) was much simpler.

So, I will stick for now with Grub!
If it gets more problematic I will switch to systemd-boot as it is so simple and it just runs!
Thank you and welcome to our world.

I tried itā€¦ not just install something and it just worksā€¦ it needs some work to be done.

Not for meā€¦ I am not techieā€¦ I am just a user, an average Joe.

Me too. I got it to work. But Grub I know and until last week it ran almost always perfect.

Grub is the best boot loader. (Other than this issue)
I tried systemd-boot and I really loved it. So simple and fast booting. The only con for me it does not support booting from snapshots. This is the main feature that made me use BTRFS.

I hope systemd developers can make it boot snapshots. I will sure convert to it.