Conflicting dependencies

Greetings,

i have that error message after YAY:

: python-protonvpn-nm-lib and protonvpn-cli are in conflict. Remove protonvpn-cli? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: python-protonvpn-nm-lib and protonvpn-cli are in conflict (protonvpn-cli<3.11.0)
 -> exit status 1

1. which one should i choose here: [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
=> Packages to exclude: (eg: "1 2 3", "1-3", "^4" or repo name)
==> 
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Aur:3]  python-protonvpn-nm-lib-3.7.0-1  protonvpn-cli-3.11.0-1  protonvpn-gui-1.7.0-1

3 python-protonvpn-nm-lib          (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  2 protonvpn-cli                    (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  1 protonvpn-gui                    (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> N
:: (1/3) Downloaded PKGBUILD: protonvpn-gui
:: (2/3) Downloaded PKGBUILD: protonvpn-cli
:: (3/3) Downloaded PKGBUILD: python-protonvpn-nm-lib
  3 python-protonvpn-nm-lib          (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  2 protonvpn-cli                    (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  1 protonvpn-gui                    (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> n

Thanks

This is telling you to remove protonvpn-cli otherwise protonvpn-nm-lib will not be installed. You need to check if it’s okay to remove protonvpn-cli by seeing if any other packages depend on it. Run pacman -Qi protonvpn-cli in the terminal and look for “Required By” to see if it’s needed by any other packages. If it says none, then it should be safe to remove. sudo pacman -R protonvpn-cli

1 Like
pacman Qi protonvpn-cli
error: no operation specified (use -h for help)

that is output so it can be removed?

Sorry my mistake, run pacman -Qi protonvpn-cli and show us what that output displays, I missed the “-” before Qi in the first message.

1 Like
pacman -Qi protonvpn-cli
Name            : protonvpn-cli
Version         : 3.10.1-1
Description     : Official ProtonVPN Command Line Interface, maintained by the ProtonVPN team.
Architecture    : any
URL             : https://github.com/ProtonVPN/
Licenses        : GPL3
Groups          : ProtonVPN
Provides        : None
Depends On      : python-protonvpn-nm-lib  python-pythondialog
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : protonvpn
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 145,92 KiB
Packager        : Unknown Packager
Build Date      : None
Install Date    : None
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : None

any idea> am i free to remove now?

So it looks like protonvpn-cli is required by protonvpn so if you remove that than that package may no longer work. But if all your updating is the protonvpn package, then it could just be that the maintainer removed protonvpn-clias a dependency and put protonvpn-nm-lib in it’s place. I don’t use protonvpn and I’m not familiar with this package, but that is just my assumption at the moment. According to the protonvpn AUR page ( here ) , it looks like protonvpn-cli and protonvpn-gui are dependencies for protonvpn.

There’s another package in the AUR called protonvpn-cli-ng that most proton users have installed ( here ), it may be possible to use that package instead of the protonvpn-cli package, but like I mentioned I don’t use these packages, so I don’t want to end up somehow breaking your protonvpn package in anyway. Hopefully someone else here uses protonvpn service and can help you shed some light on this, cuz anything I offer at the moment as a solution might end up breaking your package and I’d rather not do that.

1 Like

Thanks for your time friend . will wait till any other proton users idea than.

1 Like

I don’t use protonvpn, but…

How about:

yay -S protonvpn-cli

Then, when that finishes:

yay

(This is mentioned in the comments on the AUR pages of both protonvpn-cli and protonvpn-nm-lib)

3 Likes

That fixed issue. Thanks for helping. Issue solved

yay -S protonvpn-cli
after
yay
done.

2 Likes

protonvpn-cli has been deprecated and you should replace it with protonvpn-cli-ng

1 Like

Thanks. at first i have to remove cli and after install ng one? or there are other commands which replaces it ?

Disregard. Apparently I’m wrong. My apologies.
the ng version is an unofficial community version

iyanmv commented on 2021-12-09 09:01

zeroconf: no, it’s not. That AUR package installs the unofficial community Linux client.

zeroconf commented on 2021-12-07 14:19

Interesting package is aur/protonvpn-cli-ng - sounds like new generation…

1 Like

so should i change cli to ng or not? if i will stay on cli will any issues future?

Yes, stick with cli it’s the official one. You should be good to go now

1 Like

Whichever one you don’t need. . .

It’s very difficult to tell what you’re trying to accomplish when you only show a snippet of what you’re doing. Please don’t just post the 4 lines of error - as with what’s provided no one can answer. Please always post ALL of the terminal lines - input to output. The output isn’t relevant without the input.

You received no operation specified because you didn’t have one. It’s pacman -Qi protonvpn-cli

Please note what was done here - ALWAYS check Arch wiki/AUR pages for help. Someone spent a lot of time creating them so you can maintain your system. This is an example of good maintenance.

You should run the one you want - read their pages and that’s your call. I always prefer the official versions, but maybe the commuity program has something you want. See the above comments about reading up on the pages to find out what works best for you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.