Clonezilla to another computer with empty partition for dual Windows boot

Running Endeavour on an aging laptop has been a risk I knew would eventually catch up with me and it did this week. The 2016 era Acer E 15 laptop started misbehaving on the keyboard and got worse as time went on until I could not even shut down. An external USB wired keyboard gave me the same scrambled keystrokes, so this a hardware problem I am not prepared to delve into.

I just got a used desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB drive of which 224GB is NTFS partitions. My wife thinks it may be useful to keep Windows, so she must be obeyed. I am hoping to use Clonezilla to clone the old 500GB laptop drive onto the remaining 707GB partition free of the target computer.

So how to I got about cloning the old computer with :enos: - any instructions ?
How to clone :enos: to the new (target) computer?
How to make the computer dual boot?

What inxi reports would you need to see? Do you need the fstab ?

Thanks in advance.

How many partitions on the old box and what filesystems are used for each?

Disk /dev/sda: 465.76 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Disk model: Hitachi HTS54755
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt

Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1       4096    618495    614400   300M EFI System
/dev/sda2     618496 958313126 957694631 456.7G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3  958313127 976768064  18454938   8.8G Linux swap

What filesystem is used on /dev/sda2?

Are you using grub or systemd-boot?

grub

lsblk -o name,size,fstype
lsblk -o name,size,fstype

NAME SIZE FSTYPE
sda 465.8G
├─sda1 300M vfat
├─sda2 456.7G btrfs
└─sda3 8.8G swap
sr0 1024M

Here is what I would do:

• Boot off the live iso
  • Create a partition in the empty space(leave some empty space for the swap partition)
  • Format it for btrfs
  • Use btrfs send/receive to send all your subvolumes over(this can be done locally or across the network)
  • arch-chroot into your system(remembering to mount your efi partition)
  • Modify /etc/fstab with your new UUIDs
  • Run grub-install and grub-mkconfig
  • Run sudo mkinitcpio -P

ok, now that gets the target partition setup, which I think I can handle.

I have no experience with Clonezilla. Can I it be used to clone everything which would aslo create the partitions on the target machines?

I haven’t used it in a while. If you clone the disk it will create the partitions but you can’t do that in your case. It will overwrite the target disk and you will lose Windows.

I believe you can also clone partitions but I am not sure that would be easier than the above. You would still have to chroot in afterwards. It is an option though.

Here is what the target machine’s partitions look like with the liveiso ventoy plugged in.

I modified the above with some additional steps. You could replace steps 2-4 with cloning the partitions if that is your preference.

Your approach is defintely better, but what I am trying to avoid is to set up all the btrfs Assistant, the Gnome setup etc.

Also, do you have any clues as to how to set it up for dual boot?

ok, if we lose Windows, we can live with that, since we have been Windows-free zone since 2019. Would you will suggest the above steps?

Eh, what? Sending the subvolumes with btrfs send/receive with send everything over. All your settings/software/everything.

In that case you should be able to clone the entire disk and it should just work. That is definitely the easiest solution.

Both computers are on ethernet connected to the router. Will btrfs send/receive be able to communicate?

Yes.

I don’t understand source and target machines.
Based on the screens I posted, can you tell me what syntax after btrfs send ?
I got this
$ btrfs send 0 1
ERROR: not dumping send stream into a terminal, redirect it into a file

I have successfully used gparted to copy whole partitions from an external disk (source, arch installation with 3 partitions) to the internal disk, booting from a Live ISO.
Practically, using two usb drives, one to boot (to use gparted from), and one as the source of the partitions to transfer-copy to target (internal disk).

Of course, modifications are the same as @dalto said, change UUIDs, fstab, chroot to install bootloader.