Cinnamon Settings may temporarily broken

Going though the tread this morning, looks like pebcak did a pretty good job of walking you through it. Nothing really to add other than point you to the ArchWiki for package downgrade just for future reference. That being said (and as pebcak pointed out), the “downgrade” bash script comes with EndeavourOS and easier to use. Nonetheless, here’s the ArchWiki link for downgrading just in case you’re interested.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/downgrading_packages

2 Likes

Thank you.

you also also checkout eos-downgrade
you can downgrade packages using

sudo downgrade <package-name>

Nevermind, I see @pebcak already mentioned it

2 Likes

Appears that, as of this evening, it’s sorted out. So, you no longer have to change “0.7” to “0.8” in impacted python scripts now. (For me, that was cinnamon-settings, firewall-applet, guake, and variety) even if libnotify is at 0.8.

So, it appears you can undo those python edits if you made them or, if you downgraded libnotify, you can let it update again.

1 Like

Is there any need for the python edit to be reverted back to 0.7? Seems to me that, since it’s been fixed, it does not matter if it says 0.7 or 0.8? Or even 0.6 for that matter?

LATEST

I just finished my daily system update.

In fact, with the workaround @pebcak linked to, the file
/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_notifications.py still had the value of 0.8, and it did not work. Putting it back to 0.7 made the settings tool work.

Right, that what I was saying, if you edited the python script to change 0.7 to 0,8, you need to undo the edit now and put it back to 0.7.

Incidentally, this is why it’s not a bad idea to give the system a couple days to sort itself out or, if you do tweak something, keep track because you may need to “un-tweak” it later on :wink:

Got it. Sorry I misread you, I got my knickers in a bit of a twist, so to speak. I amended my earlier comment (headed LATEST): the issue IS fixed so i took out the negative bit.

Thanks for your input. I got a long way to go yet.

So, why not mark the solution as solution to this thread?

It is not my thread.

1 Like

Ahhh… :rofl:

1 Like

I started the thread just to let people know. Wasn’t so much a question, just FYI.